1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted criteria for an outstanding observation in the Early Years???

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by giraffe77, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Hi everyone,
    We are due an Ofsted this year, and was wondering if there is such a set of criteria?? I'm fairly new to management in Key Stage 1, and would like to make sure my team is fully prepared for this ...
    Thanks in advance! :)
    ps any advice for new management in Early Years and KS1 also very much appreciated!!! Arghh - I'm scared!!

2. Hi everyone,
    We are due an Ofsted this year, and was wondering if there is such a set of criteria?? I'm fairly new to management in Key Stage 1, and would like to make sure my team is fully prepared for this ...
    Thanks in advance! :)
    ps any advice for new management in Early Years and KS1 also very much appreciated!!! Arghh - I'm scared!!

3. Thank you - it is indeed very useful!
    Anyone else???

4. I have just uploaded ofsted inpectors guidance feb 2009. You will find it under whole school - inspection Hope this helps

5. Thank you for your help - just read the other posted guidance, and it's more relevant to pre-school settings, and I'm in a mixed Year 1 / Rec class in a primary school. Still makes interesting reading though, and is relevant to me and the other reception teacher, but also wanted guidance for the rest of my KS1 team.
    Petrified now!! :-(

6. Has anyone else got any words of wisdom for me??? Pleeeease!

7. We had ours a couple of weeks ago. It was very similar to the inspection guidance above. Emphasis was on last years EYFS profile results, how you know where the children have come in at and how much progress they make. Other judgements tended to hinge on these scores. Make sure you know your numbers. They observed provision, kids and envrionment but didn't ask about record keeping, planning,etc.
    Didn't even go in to watch Y1 but in Y2 looking at how many achieve different levels etc. in SATs and so whether they make good progress. Spent much more time looking at progress in KS2.
    We only had a 1 day inspection so was whistlestop - didn't speak to subject co-ordinators even. Hope that helps.

8. Thanks, I'm really worried about them wanting to look at our 'learning journeys' and suchlike. We've been troubled all year coming to a decision about what our records should look like, and have only just come to a partial decision over what should be happening. So, we should be ok from now on, but before now, out records aren't great.
    What about work samples in Year 1 /2 in a slightly longer inspection? What would they be expecting to see? Maths books (mine don't have much in them, most things are done on whiteboards etc!)? Science books? ICT folders?
    OMG - I'm getting stressed now and don't even know if they're coming yet!?

9. Sorry, still don't think its the right document! It is similar to the one I had and should still be useful. Perhaps somone else can find the right one?

10. hahaha - they're both useful anyway!

11. Msz

Msz Established commenter

12. Msz

Msz Established commenter

13. Hi again all!
    Am now due a lesson observation by a member of SMT - didn't ever find an Ofsted observation form, and would now like to get better-prepared. What about mixed-age classes, how do those observations work? Does the teacher of mixed R/1 class get the same observation as a Year 1 class or an EYFS class?