1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED CONTROLLED ASSESSMENTS

Discussion in 'Music' started by Klloydy1985, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Hi

My year 10s and 11s are currently studying with OCR and although I'm not too worried about whether OFSTED come in to my year 10 lesson this half term, I'm very worried about the year 11 lessons as they are completing coursework and lessons aren't being taught in a particularly structured OFSTED-friendly way. As I don't want to disrupt what my kids are doing, has anyone got any tips on how I can do an OFSTED lesson whilst still incorporating their coursework completion (compositions)

They will definitely be inspecting before October!!!!

Thanks

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Is it no longer permissible to have common sense solutions like the head handing the inspectors a list of lessons where students will be doing controlled assessments, so they can concentrate on observing lessons where there will be more active teaching?

3. You'd think....!! I was going to say this to SLT but I'm preparing for them to say no.... As is usually the case with them and my subject! Any ideas as to what to do??? Xxx

4. muso2

muso2 Established commenter Community helper

I actually think music controlled assessments (assuming we're talking composing here?) are great for people to observe as they are usually stunned into submission by seeing the amazing range of things students are doing, and also allows you to support/challenge as appropriate for individuals which they love (within the constraints of medium control for CA) and minimises teacher talk to the whole class. Although it is less teacher-led, I think it's a great way to show music teaching at its most realistic and best.

To make progress slightly more obvious to an observer I'd probably have a short starter where we brainstorm something relevant (e.g. Ways to show development of ideas) then get them all to set themselves a target for the lesson. You can say that you'll be returning to these next lesson to see how much progress they have made.

5. muso2

muso2 Established commenter Community helper

Another useful starter might be listening to a previous student's composition work and discussing what strengths and targets might be, what grade it got, etc. mini whiteboards are good, and you'll probably be looking at exemplar work at some point anyway.

6. Ooh thanks for this.... I'll have this up my sleeve. I hadn't thought about the previous students' work for analysis in an ofsted lesson (even though I've done that before!! #braindead!) Thanks so much for giving me a shove in the right direction - much appreciated :)