1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted - column addition/subtraction

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Rina2011, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Rina2011

Rina2011 New commenter

Can anyone point me in the right direction or tell my anything about the following;

I had an interview yesterday in a Year 3/4 class and taught column subtraction. The head then told me after the interview that Ofsted are getting rid of column subtraction and she wanted me to prepare for the question for the interview! The interview's tomorrow but I cant find anything online about it! Just a blog saying how hard it is for kids because of all the steps and not sinking into long term memory.

Please help!

2. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

OFSTED cannot get rid of anything. The National Curriculum is a legal requirement and column addition and subtraction are included for Years 3 and 4. Unless this school is exempt from the NC - an independent school, perhaps?
    The Government decides what is in the NC, OFSTED are there to check that pupils at schools are learning it.

nomad and Marshall like this.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

becky70 is quite right. The interview could be testing you as to whether you are willing to stand up for your teaching and also that you know the national curriculum.

Check the schools website and see if they've posted their maths progression document (or something similar) - that should detail how they teach column subtraction at that school.

nomad likes this.
  4. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I did read a bit more and found out that academies don't legally have to follow the NC. They do still have to do the end of Key Stage tests though so in reality they would struggle if they didn't teach the NC.
    Marshall's suggestion of looking at the school's website for info about how they teach calculations is an excellent one.

DexterDexter and Marshall like this.
  5. Rina2011

Rina2011 New commenter

Not an academy, looked on website and nothing on it.
    She made out that the school wouldn't be using that method due to ofsted, but it doesn't make sense!
    Thank you for the replies!

Marshall likes this.
  6. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Stick to your guns. Read what NCETM say in the mastery approach for primary ( column subtraction is in their year 3 section). The use of algorithms, such as being able to use the one for column subtraction, I s is an important part of developing computational thinking skills.

https://www.ncetm.org.uk/resources/50639

7. Ezioclone

Ezioclone New commenter

I think it is extremely likely you have mis-heard or mis-understood what the HT was trying to say.
    So be prepared to answer slightly different versions of the question in the actual interview. Make sure you know your facts:
    1. Ofsted do not dictate what is, or should be taught.
    2. (As far as you are aware...) All respectable Mathematics bodies worldwide recommend/demand teaching of column subtraction method. You would need to see very,very strong evidence before entertaining an alternative approach.

Make sure you get the basic factual aspects of your answer correct before making any attempt whatsoever - even if pressured -to go off-piste with your answer and say anything that’s ill-thought out.

Personally, I wouldn’t ask beforehand for clarification in case it highlights the fact you mis-understood what was intended (even if was the HT’s error in communication).

tinlin and cassandramark2 like this.
  8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Perhaps OFSTED are also getting rid of the alphabet and fractions.

9. DexterDexter

DexterDexter Occasional commenter

How did it all go in the end, @Rina2011?
    Did you get the job or was it a lucky escape?