1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED Children reading

Discussion in 'Primary' started by greenpaddy, Feb 7, 2012.

1. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

We have OFSTED coming and they have asked for our three lowest readers in each class. Has anyone had experience ofthis - do they hear them 1:1, in a small group?

2. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

We have OFSTED coming and they have asked for our three lowest readers in each class. Has anyone had experience ofthis - do they hear them 1:1, in a small group?

3. The info we've been given is that they will be listening to children read and questioning them on book choice, what to do if they're stuck, how often they're read with, who reads with them etc. There is a list of questions for KS 1 and for KS 2 that the inspectors will be referring to apparently. (Because, let's be fair, it'll have been a long while since any of them actually had any experience with children).

4. Last I heard, under the new framework, in a school down the road from mine, they listened to, and talked to, 75 children in all year groups and of all abilities. I was told it will depend on how they perceive your school's strengths and weaknesses before they get there - the inspection decisions will be tailored for each one they visit.
    This school, they didn't even talk to the Head until the end of the day - just went straight for the classrooms.

5. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

How do they know you really have given them the three lowest readers? It sounds like an unscientific start.
    There was a training document for inspectors looking at reading that was published by OFSTED before Christmas. That might give you some clues. I can't imagine they would want to see them in a group, there doesn't seem much point to that.

6. We had ofsted the second week of this term. They read with 3 random
    children in my class (year 1) and didnt choose too bad either!! My head wasnt impressed
    though as they are supposed to pick bottom middle top and they could have got some right
    corkers. So my feedback was how good the reading was!

They spent about twenty mins with each child and asked them about phonics and comp questions.

7. naomi58

naomi58 New commenter

The ofsted document mystery10 refers to does tell you the kinds of questions inspectors will ask. I read it a few weeks ago and most children would be fine with the questions. The children who would struggle to answer will inevitably be your poorest readers! Why don't they ask for top, middle, bottom?!

8. mystery10

I was a bit baffled by the document TBH. It very much read to me like something for people who might know nothing about teaching reading nor how to inspect it. I had the impression that each individual inspector could take a very different approach. Also I thought that an inspection team would only look at reading in detail if there were concerns about standards. I don't know from the document at what level that concern would kick in.

9. I have read the Osted guidelines and i think they will hear the children read 1:1 and will check in particular how well they are blending. They will ask ?s such as how often you read/who with/who chose the book/ do you know your level/do you know about authors etc. It is basically a check on the teaching of phonics and reading in the class and in the school. I believe they will focus on Year 1 or possibly 2 and if there is a problem, will go higher up the school.
    It also says in the guidelines to inspectors that it may not be appropriate to speak to certain children as they may be uncomfortable with a stranger speaking to them....!

10. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I had to choose 5 readers from my year 6 class. 1 top, 2 middle and 2 bottom. Had to send them with some evidence of their writing and a book of their choice. Still not entirely sure what they actually did with the inspector but they knew who was T M B as they had a copy of the tracker and compared their reading/writing with the given levels.

11. Had our LA Teaching and Learning review last week, they took about 6 children from each year group, mixture of abiliites, (with ALL their books, numeracy, literacy, science, Big Write etc) and asked them all sorts of questions, their targets, asked to explain their success critera, the marking, do they get time to follw out the 'wishes' etc.most of the children responded brilliantly..Good luck x

12. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

Many thanks for all your comments. They have been into Reception and to Year 1 looking at readers and phonics teaching. They have not come into look at Year 2 yet for reading. They may come for guided reading tomorrow.

13. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

They were into here year 2 readers and praised my three readers for giving it a go and using a range of strategies in their reading - not just phonics. [​IMG] Thank goodness for that.

14. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

hear - even, been a long 3 1/2 days.

15. Just as a matter of interest, what were the other strategies the children used?

16. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

picture cues, context of the sentence - missing the word out, reading to the end of the sentence and then working it out. Mainly these two, one girl knowledge of spelling pattern - in other words.

17. Thank you[​IMG]

18. "picture cues, context of the sentence - missing the word out, reading to the end of the sentence and then working it out."
    Sadly, we have a teaching profession which has been trained to teach children these 'strategies' but this is not the guidance that is current - nor based on long-standing research on reading and leading-edge practice.
    The range of strategies described above amount to taking attention away from the word that needs to be read and onto the picture, the meaning, the trialling to see if the deduced word 'fits'.
    All of this amounts to 'guessing' the word and is not the best substitute for being able to decode the word.
    The best readers can read words both in and out of context and are not reliant on guessing, picture clues, context clues.
    Of course the pictures and context are invaluable as part of the book and to support understanding and enjoyment of the text.
    The Ofsted inspector may, or may not, understand the up-to-date reading model for teachers and for beginner readers.
    They are on a learning curve too at the moment.

19. But, of course, reading is ultimately about discovering meaning, and decoding isolated words has very little to do with meaning. So the 'cutting edge' needs to be treated with a little scepticism, perhaps.

20. mystery10

Indeed, the whole thing is baffling. I think that guessing a possible missing word in a sentence may have value as an exercise for a different sort of purpose, but I fail to see its value in the process of learning to read
    I don't even understand why it is seen as a useful way of learning to read by people who do not use synthetic phonics in their methods. I learned to read without SP, I don't know how, but I do not ever remember guessing words - certainly not consciously anyhow. I am certainly very glad that no-one ever encouraged me to guess, either at home or at school. Bad habits learned early are very hard to drop.
    The use of context in guessing words during decoding was debunked decades ago. It is poor readers who make more use of context to decode words than good readers.
    Try for example reading Keith Stanovich "Matthew Effects in Reading: Some Consequences of Individual Differences in the Acquisition of Reading" 1986. I don't think this was an entirely new notion in 1986 either. Rudolph Flesch described it all well in "Why Johnny Can't Read" a long while before that.