1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted chief says there is no evidence that cuts are hitting education quality

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Sep 7, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

It would be interesting to read your views about this story and your experience about what the funding cuts mean, in reality, for your classes and your school:

‘Ofsted has no evidence that the quality of education has been affected by school funding cuts, Amanda Spielman said today.

The chief inspector was pushing back against criticism from the Public Accounts Committee that she not spoken out or answered MPs questions about the impact of funding pressures.

Ms Spielman told Radio Four’s Today programme: “We haven't seen anything yet from school inspections that says that schools are unable to provide a good quality of education by reason of funding."

Her comments prompted National Education Union joint general secretary boss Kevin Courtney to call for the abolition of Ofsted because it was “unable to speak truth to power.”’

https://www.tes.com/news/spielman-no-evidence-cuts-are-hitting-education-quality

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

When I heard her radio interview this morning, I felt that she was saying "we are concerned by anecdotes but don't have evidence" with the word yet unsaid. She also didn't say "we have evidence that the funding cuts are not damaging education."
    She did more or less say that they can't do the job Government want on their current budget. I got the feeling that the Government select committee want more inspection failures as evidence they're doing their job.
    We may need to give her time, but as with teenagers starting work, it may be a lot of time.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Perhaps we should give Ms Speilman a 10% paycut and see if it affects her productivity, plus the same for OFSTED's budget to see if they can do the same amount of work.

tterb and phlogiston like this.
  4. install

install Star commenter

Ofsted need to go. The money saved would be huge - especially the 5 figure bonus sums that some Ofsted people recently got.They enjoy too much coasting in and out of schools without offering to teach or even live for a while in the communities they claim to want to improve.

Some of their gradings seem to go up and down so much - that some parents, communities and teachers doubt their value.

tterb, Marshall and Alice K like this.
  5. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I suppose if you don't look for the evidence you won't find.

6. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I have always had positive experiences of OFSTED (5 inspections including subject ones) BUT so many of my peer headteachers have bad experiences that I am beginning to question why?

I do think it is some time for something different - particularly in view of the so called outstanding schools who have not been inspected for years - a couple of my peers are in this situation and they freely admit that they are not outstanding any more and would welcome an OFSTED.

I don't like the fact that you ask them how to improve and they don't give an answer - the best one I had was 'you need to just put the cherry on top of the cake'! I know that BUT I asked how!

Trouble is they don't ask schools what they want!

7. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Agree.

install and Marshall like this.
  8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

A weaselly answer any politician would be proud of.

Of course Ofsted has no evidence of that. They don't collect evidence about the impact of funding cuts so they wouldn't have any evidence would they!

Right from when Ofsted started inspectors have been instructed NOT to comment in reports on whether the school has sufficient funding. Years ago they would comment on whether the school made effective use of the funding it had (the 'Value for money' judgement) but even that was dropped a long time ago.

She's clearly never heard the aphorism "the absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence".

9. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

You wouldn't let a teenager teach without training. You certainly wouldn't let her judge other teachers. Or run a crew who do judge teachers.
    Guess it would be hard for her to understand funding cuts as (unlike most of us) she can hardly compare things as they are now to the many decades she spent working in schools, can she?

tterb likes this.
  10. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

If they can't find evidence that schools are bad, does that mean they get a grade 1? I'm told teachers have to waste even more time than ever these days to provide evidence, or Ofsted inspectors will say they aren't good enough.

tterb likes this.
  11. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

We all know Ofsted is incapable of assessing the quality of education as evidence by the plethora of absurd comments gathered in that other long running thread.

How on earth are we supposed to take seriously their assessment that quality of education has not suffered owing to cuts?

tterb likes this.
  12. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The radio interview yesterday led me to wonder if they've had a rather bigger cut than that.;)

13. drvs

drvs Star commenter

14. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

One of my personal favourites.

The government decide the criteria for defining success or failure. "good" is a very poorly defined term and is applied generously to academies in MATs. "Requires improvement" is also poorly defined and very subjective. Often applied to schools not in MATs and often for paperwork issues around safeguarding.

OFSTAZI then go and implement these terms, careful to secure the "more good schools than ever" statistic.

If OFSTAZI was independent of the government, I would be happy to hear their view.

The government have it all sewn up. They can create their own statistics to prove whatever they want. They did the same with crime figures to prove low numbers of police have no effect on crime figures.