1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted chief inspector Amanda Spielman received 'venomous' abuse. after questioning faith schools

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Dec 16, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

It seems to me that after raising concerns about the values being promoted in some of the country’s faith schools - those whom send their children to these faith schools have forgotten what faith stands for! She has received vicious threats from what she believed to be a “mixture of Islamic extremists and the hard left”.

2. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

One more reason for getting rid of so called 'faith' schools.

3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Her interview in The Times covers broader issues and is well worth reading, whatever you think of it.

delmamerchant likes this.
  5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

CraigCarterSmith likes this.
  6. Vince_Ulam

Don't tell me, let me guess: She & her staff are doing a marvellous job under difficult circumstances.

Scintillant likes this.
  7. Vince_Ulam

It would be unusual for the hard left to come out in defence of religion.

Scintillant likes this.
  8. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Much more detail than that, and actually none of the "marvellous job under difficult circumstances" spin. Describes some worrying issues with some schools and the difficulties of dealing with them. If you can get past the paywall, it is worth a read.

delmamerchant likes this.
  9. Vince_Ulam

Sounds like difficult circumstances to me. No bureaucrat worth their orthopaedic chair & gold-plated pension ever deals with anything but "worrying issues".

[​IMG]

10. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

It's no joke, Vince. No one deserves this.

Speaking to the Times, she said one message threatened "we can get you any time we want to".
    Extra security has been drafted into an Ofsted regional office after inspectors were sent extreme Islamic literature.
    The head of the schools inspectorate recently published her annual report, which warned a rising number of conservative religious schools were undermining equality laws
    A book discovered in one of the criticised schools was called Women Who Deserve to go to Hell.
    She claims some of the practices in religious schools were sexist and sectarian.
    In the Times, she said: "I'm not easily bruised. I don't fall over when I see a load of nasty tweets pointed at m
    "But there has been some pretty venomous stuff.
    "I had an email, which was the most threatening one, which was along the lines of 'we know where you live and we can get you any time we want to'", she added.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42377179

lexus300 likes this.
  11. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Having read a couple of articles around her comments and having read the relevant report which contained some frankly worrying data, I think that, for once at least, OFSTED had a point.
    Especially where private faith schools are concerned.

I am unsurprised that she and her colleagues have come in for some pretty nasty criticism as that tends to be the case if you challenge the more 'conservative' members of the faith education system.
    And whilst I am unimpressed with the laws in question, whilst they are laws they should be obeyed, or tested in court.
    Not ignored, not put aside as being not compatible with beliefs, but challenged in a legal and responsible way.

12. Vince_Ulam

If it happened then it's inexcusable. I do not believe it has happened, attention-seeking claims like this happen all the time on social media. She will have received some clapback for her recent declarations and it's handy for her programme to blame "Islamic extremists". She's clearly an amateur, however, as nobody on the hard left would attack someone for attacking religion. It's a joke.

New "equity laws" for which there was no apparent need, upon which people weren't consulted and to which people haven't been given time to adjust. Most of these laws are just Tory virtue-signalling to the hard left she's claiming are attacking her.

Scintillant likes this.
  13. delmamerchant

14. delmamerchant

I agree. The issue of children who are unaccounted for is crucial. Also, the discussion about choosing a faith school for resons of isolating your child from society is quite important.

15. Vince_Ulam

It's about Islam. Read the article.

Scintillant likes this.
  16. delmamerchant

You should red the article or just stop making ridiculous comments. I work in school where we raise some of these concerns.

frangipani123 likes this.
  17. Vince_Ulam

No, the article from the link in my post which you quoted. It's about Muslim children.

That's nice. I still don't believe Spielman and I have no confidence in her.

Scintillant likes this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Crikey... I'm the hard left!

[by those qualifying standards]

19. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Yes. The direction education is heading in is quite concerning, with Ofsted becoming more and more politicised every day. Vince is absolutely correct in his comments about Spielman and her dog whistle nonsense.

20. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

One presumes then that you doubt the findings?
    If so
    1. Have you access to data that proves the findings are erroneous
    2. Or do you believe that faith schools (of whatever faith) should be beyond criticism?
    I can quite understand why most teachers and some outside of teaching are extremely sceptical of OFSTED reports