1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted boss "tearing her hair out" over schools grading individual lessons

Discussion in 'Education news' started by phlogiston, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

There is.

If anybody knows of an Ofsted report published since NOV 16 which breaks the stipulated guidance, I'd be most grateful for a link...

2. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Established commenter

Which, of course, they won't.

P***ing Ofsted off in the middle of an inspection is not the top of any HT's list of things to do.

slingshotsally likes this.
  3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Ha Ha Ha Ha!

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  4. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

I believe we may have previously had this exchange. So probably little need to relive it in full.

I can state that I am aware of recent inspections where it was the persistence of the HT (and others) in arguing the school's case which ultimately resulted in the school being awarded a 'good' grade.

Forgive me if you have already answered this, but how long ago was your last direct experience of an Ofsted visit?

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

slingshotsally and PeterQuint like this.
  6. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

My original mention of this matter was made in response to a poster who described inappropriate comments made by a visiting inspector before the inspection had even commenced. I'm not sure that challenging an inspector's questions during the first few minutes of an inspection would lead to another further inspection...!

7. grumpydogwoman

You got me! I'm a late-comer to this. ;)
    A FORMAL complaint. But you'd fear the consequences in today's environment, I feel.

I think HTs should be compelled to send a pre-inspection message to OFSTED. In any school with active union members who registered a concern the HT (and so no blame need be attached to the HT) has to submit the ASOSA document to OFSTED and say that this is a school which observes the following:

Staff attendance during inspection

If any member of staff, including the headteacher, works part time or job shares and inspection takes place on days when they are not in the school, then they must not be expected or asked to come into school during the inspection.

That's one example from the NASUWT. Really it's no longer OFSTED (if ever it was) who is causing the workload problems. It's the school leadership PLUS the teachers themselves for not organising, not belonging to a union, not knowing their rights, not showing solidarity and being mugs.

Teachers could sort this.

cazzmusic1, slingshotsally and Pomz like this.
  8. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Unfortunately our Ofsted report was September 16.

9. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

Bummer :(

10. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

Sorry to mix my metaphors, but...

In a nutshell, you've nailed it...:)

lanokia and Startedin82 like this.
  11. grumpydogwoman

And the teachers themselves!!!

Not just the leadership.

OFSTED. I mean - why bother? A day. Two days. Meh. According to this (below) all schools start at Good (short inspection). So they look at the results and fit the other observations to fit those facts.

But no. The leadership panics. The teachers panic. Mass hysteria.

https://educationinspection.blog.gov.uk/2015/12/16/short-inspections-10-things-you-need-to-know/

4. Inspectors start with the presumption that the school/provider is still good. This allows honest, challenging, professional dialogue between inspectors and senior leaders, rather than a ‘cliff-edge’ experience.

Inspectors check:

• whether leaders have a sound grasp of relative strengths and weaknesses in their school/provider
    • if there’s a credible plan to address the areas for concern and maintain the strengths
    • if the safeguarding is effective and the culture is sufficiently aspirational
    5. During the short inspection, inspectors look to validate the leaders’ assessment and test it against observation, discussion with staff and students, and data. They share emerging findings with senior leaders.

6. At the end of the inspection, if the school/provider remains good, inspectors give clear, helpful feedback to leaders. If there are other things that can be done to offer a better experience for children and learners, they say so.

12. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Established commenter

Just short of direct - five colleagues from across our MAT who have been Ofsted-ed within the last year - 4 within the last 6 months.

13. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

It is certainly true that there is no need to panic. As of last year, 89 percent of schools were awarded 'good' or better at their last inspection...

saluki likes this.
  14. Anonymity

Anonymity Occasional commenter

75%! Are you joking?! My 'support' plan stated that 100% of my lessons needed to be good or outstanding.

I'm now desperately waiting for the supply jobs to start and wondering what went so wrong in my career (but strangely am a lot happier than I was when I worked there...)

slingshotsally likes this.
  15. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Seems to have plenty of hair. How serious is she?

16. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

17. saluki

saluki Established commenter

By Outstanding they mean fully differentiated, lots of whizzy activities, kids running round sticking stickers on the wall, music, lots of VLE stuff, I forget the rest. Basically, we should plan a lesson for observation every week. Stop didactic teaching and do all singing, all dancing, bells and whistles at least once a week. I assume that when Ofsted arrive and ask the students if our sooper dooper lessons are 'normal'? The students will answer 'Yes'
    The last time I taught a fully interactive lesson for observation it went down very well. All students fully engaged and on task drawing pretty pictures. I had to re-teach it didactically the following week because the students hadn't understood it the first time.

Anonymity and slingshotsally like this.
  18. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

Not anymore they don't.

Some school leaders just haven't accepted this and and haven't dragged their outdated and labour intensive polices and practices into the present era...

Compassman and grumpydogwoman like this.