1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted boss "tearing her hair out" over schools grading individual lessons

Discussion in 'Education news' started by phlogiston, Sep 9, 2017.

1. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...-hair-out-over-schools-still-grade-individual

So why doesn't she grade the management RI?
    Less than a dozen high profile cases and the practice would stop.
    I know that it might seem unfair to grade an otherwise good management structure just on one thing, but I suspect the threat would be sufficient.

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

The one person with the most ability to change things in England is choosing to allow schools to continue to make ridiculous decisions about learning and put unbearable pressure on teachers.

3. install

install Star commenter

Our slt panics over getting it right for ofsted...75 percent good lessons or better and so on.

There is no need for grading anymore though - just areas to work on

Tinycat1234 and PeterQuint like this.
  4. dleaf12

dleaf12 Occasional commenter

No it cant be unfair... after all picking up on one tiny fault and giving RI is what SLT do to teachers now, so it must be best practice, right?? :confused:

hhhh, JohnJCazorla, Laphroig and 3 others like this.
  5. saluki

saluki Established commenter

We have been given less variety to teach this year but have been told to make sure that we teach at least one 'outstanding' lesson a week. Our lessons are no longer graded we are just given 'targets for improvement' after each observation. Thus, some pretty poor teachers think that they are outstanding because they don't take on board all of the criticisms. They only hear the 'good bits'. No I don't want to go back to graded lessons.

6. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Established commenter

Agreed. But a dozen?

I think it'd take just one.

Give a school an RI for this, then Spielman makes a speech the next day putting all schools on notice, and this proves they're serious (copies emailed to every HT, and every trust CEO), and it's stop the day after that.

I agree with most of the comments above.

A lot of hot air from Ofsted to try to look caring, but absolutely zero action.

If there's something going on in schools that Ofsted don't like, they've only themselves to blame if they choose not to take action to stop it.

They have the power to pass judgements which will cost HTs their jobs, and have had no problem exercising that power when it meant multiplying our workload many times over.

But when it comes to reducing workload? "We'd rather people stop doing this, but what can we do?" Shrug of the shoulders and forget it.

Hypocritical frauds who need to go now.

hhhh, FrankWolley, lizziescat and 4 others like this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

Ofsted have gone a bit crazy ......but then they always have been.

Imagine if they really really went :rolleyes:

Arrr....real teaching and real genuine progress at last ....mmmmmm

Lara mfl 05 and PeterQuint like this.
  8. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

This is a ludicrous instruction. As if being 'outstanding' is something people can just choose to turn on and off like a tap. Surely all teachers (or most at least) are doing the best they can in every lesson they teach...

Lara mfl 05 and PeterQuint like this.
  9. install

install Star commenter

Sad to say...some employers are listing that they want 'Outstanding teaching' and mean it -as in biweekly observations.

Sounds like madness to me - and not the 'Baggy Trousers' kind :cool:

PeterQuint likes this.
  10. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

It's just so stupid it's beyond words.

There is a reason the Ofsted no longer grade individual lessons. The only true measure of good teaching is that the pupils make good progress over a given period of time.

That period of time not being 20 minutes...

11. install

install Star commenter

And some naughty hts - by no means all - sadly report Ofsted's findings to imply there is inadequate teaching from certain individuals. All verbal...naturally and scare tactics deployed in some schools to keep some teachers in their place...

12. PeterQuint

Even when they did give individual grades, you didn't need the get most lessons as outstanding to get outstanding overall.

install likes this.
  13. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

Remove outstanding from OFSTED headings of schools. Inspect and report whether a school is providing a good education, whether it requires improvement in order to be good or whether requires special measures in order to be good. This would get rid of ego heads who narrow curriculums and 'cheat' standards in order to get their outstanding grading.

I'd also point out that if every teacher in a school teaches an 'outstanding' lesson then it is by definition not outstanding and is just the norm. If everyone could play football like Lionel Messi then he is no longer outstanding. Likewise if we could all play the guitar like Jimi Hendrix he would be seen as average not outstanding.

14. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

So I wonder why, when Ofsted came in earlier this year to my school, they asked for the Head's drop-in routine and the proportions of lessons they thought they'd see that were Good or Outstanding. If Heads aren't allowed to grade individual lessons then why do Ofsted ask to see evidence of grading????!!!

15. install

install Star commenter

I still remember the brown envelopes from years ago containing the Ofsted grading for your lessons .

You would be given it and then use it to get promoted if your 'performance' had wowed 'em. So wrong - at least that element has gone.:cool:

BUT now - in some places- you do have to 'wow' the ht / internal school observer and/or keep 'em sweet to get that '1'. Then they will tell Ofsted how 'great' you are. (Yikes)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    peggylu likes this.
  16. PeterQuint

And to be clear, Ofsted say THEY DON'T DO THIS.

And some here believe them and blame SLT.

Lara mfl 05 and install like this.
  17. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

Generally speaking, they don't.

Whilst I'm surprised an inspector used the words you recount, that isn't asking for evidence of the school grading individual lessons.

If a HT believes an inspector is not following clearly defined inspection protocol, they should challenge this immediately...

18. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Because there are "rogue" inspectors who follow their own agenda. Hence our criticism over the lack of deep marking and not assessing progress in Foundation subjects.

They follow their own agenda and although there is supposed to be quality control before reports are published the rogue inspectors are not reeled in.

As someone has said Spielman has the power to change the current climate of fear but nothing will be done.

19. MonMothma

MonMothma Established commenter

20. MonMothma

MonMothma Established commenter

Part of that speech

"Again, if you are putting more resources into providing exam scribes than in teaching your strugglers to read and write, or scrapping most of your curriculum through Year 6 to focus just on English and maths. If you are doing any of those things then you are probably doing most of your students a disservice."

"And that is why leadership and management are so important. At a time of scarce pupil funding and high workloads, all managers are responsible for making sure teachers’ time is spent on what matters most. This means concentrating on the curriculum and the substance of education, not preparing your pupils to jump through a series of accountability hoops"

"So I believe we have vital role in balancing the accountability system. What we measure through inspection can counteract some of the inevitable pressure created by performance tables and floor standards. Rather than just intensifying the focus on data, Ofsted inspections must explore what is behind the data, asking how results have been achieved. Inspections, then, are about looking underneath the bonnet to be sure that a good quality education – one that genuinely meets pupils’ needs – is not being compromised."

Lara mfl 05 likes this.