1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED - blimmin 'eck!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Coffeebean102, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I am just in the middle of experiencing my very first OFSTED. Is it normal to live off caffeine during this time period? To feel so tired you want to throw up? This is not just me working too hard, everyone in my school is exhausted.

Roll on tomorrow at 3.15, this is not healthy!

2. Yes...
    and Yes!
    Hope it's going well. We're in Special Measures so had it 3 times last year and are still expecting them this half term. Currently thinking we'll get a call tomorrow for Thursday / Friday, or next Monday for next Wednesday / Thursday.
    Keep on drinking the coffee, have lots of chocolate and do nothing tomorrow evening!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

When Ofsted (as opposed to previous HMI visits) were intorduced, we used to talk about the 'Ofsted stress', where many taechers just kept going on the adrenalin - until about 2-3 weeks after the visit and then seriously collapsed!
    So yes very common. And no not healthy!

4. I was fine teaching today, the adrenaline keeps you going I think. It's just now I'm at home that I feel dreadful! I'm sure I'll be fine in the morning :)

5. jonkers

jonkers New commenter

No I don't think that you should be reacting in this way. If you follow any sort of good practice all your paperwork should be in place and your lesson observations should just be an observation of how you normally teach. If you are doing anything out of the ordinary because you are being observed then shame on you.
    I had a call at 6 this evening telling me that we have a Dairy inspection and audit starting at 8 tomorrow morning. Am I flying round like a fly with a blue bottom? No, because everything is already in place; from the medicine book to the animal health protocols (signed off by our vet on a fortnightly basis) the machinery and plant maintenance (daily, weekly, monthly) the feed storage, usage, provenance (all backed up with laboratory tested samples) the waste management licences, the haulage certificates, animal movement licences, passports for every animal on the farm, the details of every unit of nitrogen from every tonne of manure measured and recorded before spreading, soil analysis from every field on the farm plus action plan regarding soil structure and erosion. That is before we even get to animal welfare (everything measured, from trough space, pen size, air volume, amount of light (atificial?natural) Every cow has to have a locomotion score now, every field has to have a wild life audit. We have to do butterfly surveys, bat counts and employ a wonderful bloke who comes 4 times a year to simply sit and record all the wildlife here.
    Every part of the dairy is clean, the cows are happy in their normal routine, the sheep and calves are thriving. Every aspect of the business is as it was last week before we knew we had a spot inspection as as it will be in 6 or 8 or whenever months when we have the next.
    Your school should be exactly the same.

6. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

Perhaps the dairy inspectors have sane expectations. Perhaps it's insanity to compare a cow shed a school?

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes - but if the 'inspectors found anything amiss, which you hadn't considered because the goalposts have changed since last time, then you're not likely to be put into special measures with further regular inspections or fail to keep your outstandingfrom last time with parents then deciding to send their 'custom ' elsewhere!

8. Hmm, well given that we have to produce 6-8 INDIVIDUAL lesson plans (and 2 more if you count guided reading!) and resources in the space of 3 days, I can't do what I normally do because I am not normally required to do individual lesson plans (unless I am being observed for performance management which only happens once or twice a term). So no, these were not in place because, like every other school, that is not what we 'normally' do.

Can't quite understand the odd comparison between ofsted inspectors and dairy inspectors, unless that post is meant to be sarcastic? I'm so tired I'm not sure I quite get it!

9. jonkers

jonkers New commenter

I work in both industries and can assure you that the dairy inspections are far more onerous than Ofsted.

10. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Yes, but I expect all your cows behave for you and don't answer back...

11. jonkers

jonkers New commenter

The Dairy industry goalposts change constantly. Our buyers can alter our contract on a whim and we can fail an audit tomorrow and lose our contract the same day. That's right, several thousand litres of milk with no buyer, and the cows have to be milked the following day and the milk disposed of again and so on.
    Who do you think funds the BOGOF's in your local supermarket? Who do you think has to take the unsold/spoilt produce back? Who do you think is paid 90 days in arrears, if they're lucky? No it's not Lord Sainsbury, Tesco or Asda.
    Yes, teaching isn't always a barrel of laughs but complaining about an inspection to see if we are fulfilling our contractual obligations is ridiculous. I can tell you that there are a lot worse things out there than educating tomorrows pension providers!