1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted Behemoth Rolls On

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Winnie Woo, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Without quoting all the text here can you tell me why you accept this cra* from jumped up jobsworth lumps of lard claiming to know all there is to know about everything.
    If this was anybody else saying things like this and were NOT an inspector you would have told them to F*** Off so why didn't you object to their attitude and stance at the time - it's not illegal to challenge anything you don't agree with.
    I despise people that bully and pressure others because they can and have the power to do it but not the reason to and also the people that are chosen to be in a position of authority in a school such as Head teacher, Deputy and others that accept unjust criticism without a fight.
    Shame on you!
    Hugh

2. Your points about 'going ahead with usual routines' and 'doing good stuff in that classroom' are exactly right!
    I have always believed that if teachers know their children and understand how to engage them with imaginative and creative teaching, then Ofsted pose no threat. I have been through 5 inspections and despite some HT best efforts to encourage staff to put on a good show, I have maintained a calm and philosophical approach to inspection. I have taken the attitude that if I am doing a good job, then that is what they will see.
    I have been graded between good and outstanding. One comment which has always amused was given by a lady following a music lesson with year 2 ...'it lacked polish'
    I now train teachers and try to persuade trainees that although the training process includes a need to ensure that teachers can identify learning objectives and write comprehensive lesson plans, no amount of polishing can compensate for passion about teaching and good communication of this to children will lead to the development of an interest in learning. That should be a TARGET, probably as important as any.

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

how lovely to see so many new and infrequent posters all on the same thread .......

and so many of them with spelling 'issues' .......

4. Absolutely spot on!!!
    I re-lived the memories of my two previous ofsted inspections as I read your comments. Nice to know other people think like me.
    Chapeau!

5. harsh-but-fair

welcome to TES, alberto

6. As teachers we know that there are so many effective ways of learning, so in balance there should be as many, and probably more ways of assessing. Then to be fair, at least the sum total of both these aspect for making sound judgements. Your school sounds lovely and just the sort of place to produce well rounded human beings which is proven to be a greater ticket to overall life success. Everyone Matters.

7. harsh-but-fair

welcome to TES, multimum

8. Don't feed the trolls!
    I mean OFSTED rather than certain forum mebmers.

Sorry, typo, I meant OfSTED.

Back to the topic, the only thing OfSTED should really comment on is the most important factor. Which is class sizes. Thank you and goodnight.

9. Jsocha,
    Well a profound outburst - I suppose can be taken in a number of ways (one of which suggests to me that had the vile inspector gave you good with outstanding elements you would not have posted on the forum).
    I have a range of opinions concerning ofsted and many changed recently after I attended a 'being an inspector in your own school' course. It seems that Ofsted franchise out the inspectiontion jobs and one of the current inspection providers is less than good. The best provider, who scored outstanding on all QA elements was passed over for a cheaper company.
    I think the inspection process is good, it challenges us to ensure we are helping our young people to make good progress. It us not all about tests and scores, see the new schedule.

Go on some ofsted training..... you may feel differently.

BTW.... perhaps more time planning to help your young people progress and less time with the over literate forum post/rants could help?

10. Well said

11. I enjoyed reading the original post on this thread. LOL!
    I have had 5 ofsteds and been rated at every conceivable level but recently good & outstanding. So what!
    If 6% of schools are outstanding, 45% good, 42% satisfactory, 7% unsatisfactory why do we need to spend taxpayers money to keep finding out the same facts?
    We need self evaluation, peer support from the wider community, County advice, cross County resource sharing.
    Get rid of the big stick and offer carrots we might regain the will to live.
    As a teacher I can ensure I offer my best. I don't need ofsted training I've had 4 years degree, PGCAES, Masters & 17 years experience.

12. Just imagine you are a fly in a toilet bowl looking upwards when the inspector sits down ... what do you see?

13. Up until recently, I was teaching in an inner city school in Birmingham where in 2002 (ish) we were Ofsteded and classed as failing. Within 6 years we reached outstanding!
    Was it because we had become an outstanding school? NO. Our leadership cheated; fiddled the figures, encouraged teachers to 'help' rather too much with coursework, allowed subject staff to moderate their own public exams (where I personally witnesses incidents of teachers telling the pupils the answers, breaking open exam papers on the day and coaching select students before the exam, and not least, piling huge amounts of unreasonable pressure onto Heads of department if their subject grades were less than the head wanted.
    At no time did the inspectors ever see or even suspect that this level of cheating was going on and no one could inform them as our head was such a cow that she would have hounded anyone she suspected out of their job. Divide and rule was her unwritten motto.
    Targets mean very little in real terms and serve only to encourage short cuts, cheating and a poor level of real learning.

14. I used to work for a school like that - I hated every minute of it. Nobody really seemed to care about the pupils and whether they were enjoying and achieving as long as they were perceived to be achieving. Sadly I think the school that I now work at is going the same way. Someone, somewhere in some higher authority, please read our comments and do something about it.

15. Does ANYONE have a friend who is an Ofsted inspector? I went to a party recently and my friend said "There is Auntie Barbara, she is an Ofsted inspector". We all hissed, and nobody spoke to her.

Do they have no friends? What do they do with their weekends? If any of my friends said they were going to train to be one, I would never speak to them again. Opinions please.

16. Superb initialposting.
    Was it in the TES that I read someone's comment about supply teachers being the unofficial Ofsted? Pushed into retirement due to a bad back, but now far more mobilke, I miss the job like crazy. I did a number of years as a supply teacher and was fortunate enough to spend much of my time in a very well run and generally friendly school of 1200.
    It was quite some time ago that I proposed that Ofsted inspectors should go into a school to work, to actually teach. Not only would they quickly ascertyain how well the department and school in general was functioning, but they would release a member of staff to do other things.

And -at the risk of starting a new thread - how about exams where the student is told that they can come with their course notes, their text book, that they can use a mobile phone to text for help (no noise, please) and that at their disposal would be a computer terminal connected to the internet.
    They would have many questions to work their way through. Those able students that knew their stuff, would do well and without recourse to help; those bright things that didn't know initially would have the sense and initiative to direct qustions to the right area and quickly procure an answer. Those poor individuals that just didn't have it would happily search and get a few tasks correct.
    Isn't that what the real world is about?
    How I miss it!

17. I know one who is lovely, passionate, committed, everything you would want really [​IMG], but she is an early years inspector. Might make a difference.

18. Bravo!!......every utterance sooooo true! Having very recently just suffered a 'visit' ourselves,
    as a school we feel totally violated by the ''visit of the big 6' !! They came with an agenga and by God did they get it!!

still licking our wounds...........and will be for a while yet!!.

19. harsh-but-fair

welcome to TES, aoshone
    i see you have been afflicted by the mis-spelling bug too ...

20. foxy3000

foxy3000 New commenter

Loved your spleen venting! I think you summarised what the majority of teachers feel about the dreaded Ofsted regime. Up the workers!!!