1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OfSTED bans MOCKSTEDs

Discussion in 'Education news' started by MrMedia, Mar 7, 2016.

?

Has your school ever run a MOCKSTED?

1. YES

19 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. NO

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

And indeed I believe 'charlatans' who help 'prepare' schools for OfSTED.

Tweeted by OfSTED last night - his royal highness has said:

HMCI: schools shouldn’t spend inordinate time preparing for inspection. Please avoid 'Mocksteds' and consultancy charlatans

I use the word 'ban' as if OfSTED finds out you've mocksteded then...what....no outstanding grade?

2. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I complained to my last head about a Mocksted and was told it wasn't a Mocksted but a 'Review'!

Sort of insulted the intelligence of the teaching staff really. If it walks like a duck etc etc

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You also use 'ban' wrongly since Ofsted hasn't banned anything. Wilshaw's ramblings on Twitter are just his personal opinions not directions to Ofsted inspectors, and even his comment doesn't say 'ban them'.

What they did ban I think was serving Ofsted inspectors doing Mocksted's in their spare time. That's in Wilshaw's power, he put it in their employment contracts. He can't stop ex-Inspectors doing them though.

Middlemarch likes this.
  4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Just because you're wishing it doesn't make it true.

5. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I hated Mocksted. A HT who invites a Mock inspection is a HT who doesn't know how his school is doing.

But what about those school where the HT or other SMT members have training or experience as inspectors? They know exactly how to manipulate an inspection. Maybe Mocksted is just levelling the playing field.

6. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It is in his power to do something about it, not issues tweets

Ofsted should - if this is his honest opinion - move to a position of openly criticising schools for doing it, and they need to mark down the management - rather than the teaching - for doing Mocksteds.

It is just more useless words from a failed organisation

It doesn't needs tweets, it needs action

guinnesspuss, cissy3, wanet and 4 others like this.
  7. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

To be fair, the tweet came from Ofsted's official Twitter account so this was direct Ofsted speak not Wilshaw though it directly refers to him by his official title.

As for the word ban, well, it's click bait isn't it. :rolleyes:

But Sean Harford has been saying something similar. There is a definite shift here - they will soon issue a 'myth buster' document in which they say something like 'Ofsted expects to find no evidence that the school practices Ofsted in order to influence the inspection by Ofsted. It is a myth that Ofsted approves of mocksted.'

wanet likes this.
  8. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Ofsted needs to look at staff turnover in schools it inspects.

No parent wants to see their kids "taught" by a new teacher every three months. No parents wants to see an endless line of supply teachers with inadequate subject knowledge "teaching" their kids.

When the school has poor results and tries to mitigate the fact that it has failed to teach the kids it shouldn't be using the fact that it hasn't, for example, any actual physics teachers teaching physics, it should be held to account for not doing enough to attract and retain, for example, physics teachers.

-myrtille-, cissy3, wanet and 2 others like this.
  9. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

As you also know from Twitter, Heads are openly saying they do not trust the Ofsted mythbuster statements because they and we can all see recent inspection reports where the very things Ofsted says it does not 'expect' to see have been praised.

It needs to be more than a video. This stuff actually needs to start appearing in reports.

cissy3 and wanet like this.
  10. Compassman

A very good point. The turnover at my last school was very high.

Of course the head probably thought it was good to work staff to the bone because it would show a robust approach that would impress Ofsted.

Physics is a very good example because 6 months before I left the school lost a physics teacher, followed by me (another physics teacher) and now I hear another physics teacher is leaving at Easter. So, yes, Ofsted should be investigating why this is happening.

11. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Rather than increasing the stress, a sensible school management would take a department off timetable for a day, get someone appropriate in to sit down with them and run through the sorts of things that are important and talk with the teachers about sensible strategies to improve performance where needed. It might not even be a whole day for all the staff, TLRs at the start and finish and everyone else for 2 or 3 hours in the middle.

wanet likes this.
  12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Absolutely.

If Ofsted are to by some miracle allowed to remain operating, they need a root and branch upheaval, and some people who understand education and current developments in the field of education research need moving in.

cissy3 likes this.
  13. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Now that would be the miracle.

14. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

In a survey to rival Michael's infamous Premier Inn survey, 85% of schools surveyed in the whole country are conducting mocksteds!
    That's a lot of hours and money.

cissy3, wanet and hhhh like this.
  15. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Well, what else would they possibly spend the money on? I hope you don't say teachers, support staff, family learning, parenting courses, pastoral support, new facilities, books, etc? How do those things help education at all? Do you really think that they help to improve schools as much as Ofsted or Mocksted?

cissy3 likes this.
  16. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Retention rates of staff definitely need recording. After all, a lot of crappy schools have all these fancy badges under their name, such as Investors in People etc (spit)

And as for the 'Industry' that's grown up around mocksteds etc, often staffed by out of touch ex-inspectors and Heads, it makes my skin crawl to think of their good earnings on the back of teacher misery.

guinnesspuss, MrMedia and Scintillant like this.
  17. Compassman

Investors in People - I always thought it was strange that they never interviewed the full cross section of the workforce but rather some specially selected individuals.

cissy3 likes this.
  18. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

People agreeing with Wilshaw! 'Charlatans' was his words. But in some strange sense, he does understand that the SLT (see other thread) misuse of Ofsted threat to introduce non-evidence based initiatives which do nothing for staff or students is not a good thing.
    I quite like Sean Harford, but maybe that's because he's fairly sensible and normal compared to his boss. I'd still get rid of them all and have peer assessment like the universities have, but how would that justify all those consultants eh?

19. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

we had the joy of both a mockstead and a thing before that which was "definitely not a Mockstead" but was exactly the same.

20. Compassman

If it wasn't a mocksted then what was it called?

Some head do really think their teaching staff are stupid don't they?