1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted .... are they coming soon...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by The Red Heron, Jan 6, 2012.

1. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

First of all you have to realise that most HTs are complete nutters who live to work. Without their jobs they would struggle to justify their existence in the world.
    Only satisfactory schools with dodgy results are most likely to be visited within 3years. It is a complete waste of public money to visit good and outstanding schools within 5 years as these rarely go downhill. Outstanding schools are usually led by neurotic zealots who are one step away from a breakdown if the guided reading books are put back in the wrong order

2. LOL. Thank you so much. This has really been getting me down. He keeps going on about outstanding teaching, criteria, this and that. The more I read, the more panicked I get as I think I barely fulfil the criteria for satisfactory!! Think it's beginning to affect my teaching....

3. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

Ive been outstanding to unsatisfactory in lessons obs (mostly rigged with set agendas going on), Ive worked in every yr group within the primary phase in 4 different schools within my career, Ive known lovely HTs and absolutely horrific ones, friendly staffs and cold dull boring ones
    Always hang onto the bigger picture, if you dont like the school and the regime, get out, do supply, part time, whatever-never ever let this silly job get you down or affect your family/personal life-you dont owe the job anything as it wont look after you when the going gets tough
    When I see people posting on here about maths insets at half 7 in the mornings, its makes me cringe as to what sort of lives they must have. We all teach for 2 reasons, the incremental pay and the holidays, never forget that the next time some patronising twee little ***** is banging on about the 'lovely children' or 'it being more than just a job' -it isn't.

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I'd be careful about being too complacent. It's been touted that the launch of the new inspection framework (2012) effectively 'zeroes' everybody (which makes sense, if you think about it) and schools who are within the 3 year turnaround might be inspected before they'd otherwise be due to.
    Only previously outstanding schools are unlikely to be inspected. The new framework advises that outstanding schools won't be inspected at all, unless there's a trigger, such as a significant dip in results or a safeguarding issue.

5. [​IMG]
    Complacent is not a word I'd use for how I'm feeling - hysterical, more like! And we've not even had the call. But I'd heard something a long those lines too....

6. We were last 'done' in January 2009. It was a reduced tariff inspection and we got Good with some outstanding features with no grades less than good.

We were 'redone' in the first week of December 2011 after a few weeks of constant worrying by our Head. It seems he was right though!

7. I know of a school which has achieved Good with Outstanding consistently and was inspected two and a half years after their last inspection (it was during the Autumn so put it into a new "window"). Surprise, surprise they were Good with Outstanding features again. So don't assume anything. There is some guidance on the frequency on the Ofsted website and the critical thing is moving into a new school year, not the chronological 3 year date. It begs the question whether putting good schools through this every few years is value for money.

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Apologies, I didn't mean to infer this. Poorly worded on my part, perhaps. I meant, in response to some other posts, that it might be best not to assume that they won't be around just because you're not due an inspection on the old framework.

9. [​IMG] No offence taken.
    (still hysterical though?!!)