1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED are coming:(

Discussion in 'Personal' started by henriette, Mar 27, 2011.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

We ahd them in last week - I feel your stress!
    Unfortunately as 2ndary MFL, I'm not sure I can offer much constructive lesson advice other than --- don't differ from what you normally do!! Yes, make sure your paperwork is up to date and your room is tidy, but stick to what your classes know and are used to!

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

No consolation but it could be worse - some schools get told on the Monday and the inspection starts on the Wednesday.
    Don't forget they're in to see how the children learn, and not how you teach, as if the two are somehow mutually exclusive.

3. inq

inq

We had them in a couple of weeks ago. We were all observed twice, they also observed TA's teaching handwriting and intervention groups. We were told they didn't expect lesson plans to be provided but they were happy to see them if we wanted to do them. We were supposed to be off timetable that week so were very grateful that we found out on a Friday so we could plan some lessons! They were all really nice and happy to see anything we wanted to give to them that they may have missed e.g. half term books.
    We didn't change our lessons to all singing all dancing but made sure everything was prepared thoroughly, rooms were tidy and paperwork was to hand.
    Hope it all goes OK.

4. Thank you for advice,am sooooo stressed :((

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

I have been inspected so many times I have lost count.
    The worst thing you can do is spend today getting stressed and then not sleeping tonight!
    Go for a walk (it's a lovely day!), have a glass of wine, relax.
    The people who need to worry are SLT who have given their school an unrealistic grade on the SEF: everyone else just needs to carry on as normal (IMHO!!!!!!!).

6. I just realised that I put this in the wrong forum! Doh!

7. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Do you actually know this? Have you read the last report? There will be a straightforward statement where it is made clear what needs to be looked at. Are you doing what they suggested needed improvement?
    If your answers are yes, chill out it will be fine. Odd though they are, they work to their own weird logic. As a newish classroom teacher you are not really someone they consider responsible enough to expend effort on. Keep the kids on task, three part lesson, marked books, wear your namebadge, piece of piss.

8. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Why not ask them to resolve the question of the dilemma faced by the waiter? If you're unfamilar with this I'll tell you, and remind others.
    3 people dine in a restaurant and enjoy a meal that normally costs £10 per plate. At the end of the meal they ask what they and the waiter tells them it will be £30 in total, for which each diner hands over a tenner. The waiter goes to the till clerk with the money who produces a receipt from the computerized till showing that the waiter had his sum wrong because the meal was on special offer that day on a 3 meals for £25 deal. The till clerk duly gives him 5 x £1 coins in change, rather than a five pound note in the hope the diners might leave a tip.
    The waiter is embarrassed he had forgotten the special offer but doesn't want to show his inadequacy to the till clerk who is on a mission for promotion. How can he divide the 5 coinns between the 3 diners? in the end, he decides to give them £1 each and keep the other two himself as he doubts they'd leave a tip anyway, which they didn't.
    So now, the waiter is trying to make the sums add up. Each diner gave £10 but recieved £1 back which means they paid £9 each. As 3 x 9 = 27 and the waiter has 2 quid he's wondering what happened to the other quid that he could do with.
    It's always possible the inspector hasn't encountered this before and will find himself on difficult territory in assessing you or think you are brilliant in engaging the class in number tricks.

9. Surely your management have told you what you need?

Have a copy of your scheme of work and a lesson plan ready and hand to them to the inspector as they come in. Your scheme needs to show evidence of differentiated learning for SEN and gifted and talented.

Stick the objectives on the board at the start and do a plenary at the end. OFSTED are looking at the management plan rather than individual teachers and departments so don't panic.

The inspectors are interested in whether the pupils all make progress - so make sure they do.

10. I really like that problem modelmaker and might use it the next time I cover y5/6 and there is no work left. However, I'm being a bit dense today [​IMG] and was wondering if you could enlighten me with the answer please.
    Thanks in advance [​IMG]

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Each person paid £9 that's £27 in total. The meal cost £25 so that left £2 for the waiter.
    The £3 is a red herring - that was the amount returned.

12. impis

impis New commenter

We have OFSTED in at the moment too. Like you, we heard on Friday [or was it Thursday] and they are here Today and tomorrow. [Monday and Tuesday]
    Just 2 of them. They seem a pleasant enough pair. The chap said that they are here to find out what we do right, not to find out what we do wrong - so that's a bit reassuring.
    I had an observed lesson today. It seemed to pass without incident - I hope it was okay but was unable to get feedback due to the meetings taking place after school. I was desparate to get home to the wine bottle!
    One more day to go.
    Roll on Wednesday!!!!!

13. In HE we get 6 weeks notice. We've just been called and it isn't until May. This isn't nice either.[​IMG]
    I can't believe I used to go through this every 5/6 working weeks as a HOD (7 external inspections in 2007). How did I ever survive?
    Good luck to all to all going through it at the minute.

15. I just quoted someone and forgot to add the message!! very tired!

16. marsh9382

marsh9382 New commenter

Dear fellow professional
    We have had the LEA in today and i got observed twice very stressful so i understand what your going through at the moment!! To be honest i have never been so shocked in all my life with one saying that was a really good phonics session pitched just right, relationships were brilliant the resoures super and all were engaged!!! If i were a child i would love to be in your class/lesson she commentted, welldone...............SATISFACTORY!!!! someone please tell me if i am missing something how one can say all these things then grade it at that?? One teacher was told phenominal lesson all singing all dancing and then got a..... yes you got it SATISFACTORY!!!! lol hidden agenda or what????? The other of mine was nearly a good but because, wait for it my lesson in numeracy was too complex even though she stopped in only half of the lesson was yes same again!!! SATISFACTORY!! i dont mind the outcome but when the overall comments across school were not taking risks and my numeracy was something i tried today for the first time, how much of a risk is this with low ability year 1/2????? She did say it was harsh of her and it should really be a good if she had stopped in longer so there you go. Just think that sometimes they take the last inspection into consideration and especially the LEA are really harsh on grades and keep them low because they dont want to look silly if ofsted come in and grade it lower than them!!! At the end of the day if your children are moving forward how can someone who aint been in class for years tell you that you are outstanding-unsatisfactory? LOAD OF BALLS i think...... I beleive a professional is never outstanding until they finish their career, they can be good with outstanding features but never outstanding all the time thats a silly comment to make in a snape shot of someones role in any profession! After you retire i think you can then be graded to outstanding level!!!! Any other thoughts!!!

17. Just don't expect there to be any relationship whatsoever between what your LA say and what Ofsted say marsh9382.
    I say well done and have a big glass of very nice wine. You deserve it.

18. Make sure the children know their layered targets and what they are learning in the lesson. Like previous people have said, make it clear what the objectives are and keep referring to them. You can be sure that they will ask the children. And if you have a TA make sure they are not just sitting there listening to the main input. They should be quietly interacting with their designated child or supporting behavioural management.
    Could make the problem REAL. Organise a party disco or outing, Make a list of required foods and using ICT investigate prices of different supermarkets to find out the best prices.They 'll need to multiply prices to get the require amount .Bogofs and percentages will prove challenging. Put children in mixed ability groups Just an idea.