1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted are coming-Year 6 literacy lesson ideas!?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by marlin, Nov 14, 2011.

1. marlin

marlin Star commenter

2. Tell them that they are one of the reasons why primary education has become so useless!

3. You want to be good or outstanding in every literacy lesson you 'teacher' ? Better start working on it .......

4. Firstly, how do you already know that Ofsted are coming in on Wednesday? We found out at lunchtime the day before they turned up.
    Secondly, how would you normally teach that lesson? What is already in place in your class? What type of activities are you and your class used to?

Generally, I try to start with looking at what they already know and then start from there (really, by Y6 I'd expect them to know most of the features of newspaper articles, but then, my Y5s announced loudly in term 1 that they had just done that topic in Y4...and then got very silent when I started on that basis and it quickly transpired that they didn't know anything).
    I then tend to give mine articles to annotate and to highlight the features in the first lesson. SEN group did this with TA support and together on a large copy of the article. We then have a look at particular features and try to find examples for them in their articles. It's not terribly exciting, but it helps. Afterwards, I tend to use the Learn Alberta - Communicating Ideas website for them to practise and revise: http://www.learnalberta.ca/content/elci/index.html (You could, of course, introduce it with that.)
    My current class need different small tasks in each lesson, because several of them have an attention span of 10 seconds.
    To be honest, Ofsted came in and watched me teach a very standard English lesson (nothing exciting at all - my class were finding text references and looking for examples of personification). I had no time to change my weekly planning to make it terribly exciting, apart from the fact that I don't trust my class as far as I can throw them. The lesson got graded "good with outstanding features". It doesn't have to be all singing and dancing (although I've also done that for an Ofsted obs, getting outstanding, but that had also already been in my weekly plan). What they commented on was the level of weekly planning, the well-structured overall unit of work, the good understanding of the needs of my class, the high expectations and the high quality of marking. That's all stuff you cannot prepare for two days in advance.