1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED are coming! Boo hiss boo!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by MaddieC, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Hi,

Just looking for some moral support/deas really. Had the lal this morning to say that Ofsted are in on Weds and Thurs and I'm really worried.
    Our topic is down on the farm and we've been looking at an animal a week - this week it's pigs. I'd planned to do the 3 little pigs and have the children split into 3 groups (only 19 children) and for them to make a house each out of sticks, straw and bricks (lollysticks, straws and lego) and for us to predict which house would be able to withstand the Big Bad Wolf (hairdryer).
    We'd obviously plan what we would do, predict what would happen, carry it out and then write about it. This is all a CLLD/KUW focussed lesson.
    I'd also planned to do 2D and 3D shape pig models and pictures for the PSRN focussed activities.
    I'm struggling with my Continuous Provision - specifically outside. I've had the tuff tray with mud in it for hildren to make a sty for pigs using lollysticks but I just don't know what to put in my water and sand. Do you think I should have some kind of role play outside too? We've got a farm shop inside..... I'm just all a bit of a muddle at the moment, any ideas/advie would be gratefully received!

Maddie xXx

2. missjivebunny

missjivebunny New commenter

The last couple of times I've covered The Three Little Pigs, I've had small world role-play linked to the story in the sand as an enhancement. Three pig figures, a wolf figures, a basket of art straws, a basket of lolly sticks and a basket of rocks, and the book. I've had the same set of resources in a tuff tray and on a pretend grass thingy in the small world area but I've always found the best re-enactments of the story/use of language in the sand for some reason. This year I had this enhancement around October time, and removed it about a month later. Time and time again when I'm tidying after school I find those pigs in the sand again!
    Ofsted won't expect to see all of your continuous provision areas enhanced and if you have heaps and heaps of new enhancements all on one day then it can be quite difficult to manage I find.

3. missjivebunny

missjivebunny New commenter

Forgot to say, best of luck. Hope it goes well for you.

4. All sounds great to me...could you find some dressing-up clothes that could go outside (even just brown fabric and red fabric), where they can become the characters.
    In my experience, Ofsted tend to prefer a few things done really well, rather than all areas enhanced - show that you're developing it based on observations you've made of the children, and you'll be fab!
    Good luck! x x

5. When we did the three little pigs we had a construction site as our role play - very easy/quick to set up and can easily be outside or inside. We had a black tray full of gravel, diggers/lorries, drainpipes, spades, plastic tools, etc for the children to dig in the gravel and move it around. We used large wooden construction bricks for the children to build 3D structures with. We only allowed 4 children to play in the area at any one time and we provided yellow safety vests and hard hats for them to wear so weknew which childre were playing in the area. It's been one of the children's favourite role plays this year!

Good luck! :)

6. Thanks so much for all of your help!

I'm an nqt and have never had a full prayed before, only a monitoring visit but it all went really well! This forum is so incredibly supportive, it really calmed me down!

Xxx