1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED anyone got any nice activities for kuw around plants or any advice on how to stay calm and carry on!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by starjin5, Mar 15, 2011.

1. As stated Ofsted are on their way. I am currently on the topic of 'Plants'. I'm in reception and knew this day would come and am surprised at how calm I'm feeling. I would be really grateful if anyone can offer words of reassurance though as I think I may just be ion shock.
    So far in my topic we have planted seeds, made a wormery, and grown some magic beans. I'm just trying to think of a nice KUW activity---was thinking about tasting plants/herbs, maybe growing some cress (in funny shaped moulds but then obviously thats not instant), or maybe continuing on with worms, listening to the sound of their bristles-looking at them closely with magnifying glasses etc just feel a blank really so I'd love to hear if anyone has any ideas on whats worked well for them.
    Thank you kindly :) and wish me luck

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Tell us more!

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

I hope you're not growing mescaline.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

mescaline? I meant Peyote.

5. We've just done some bean investigations - green beans various, dried beans, tinned beans (inc the wonderful baked beans) and finished off with investigating the yummy tasting jelly beans! They smelled them, squidged them, looked at them with magnifyers, sorted them by size, by colour and by 'yuckiness' - their word - tinned kidney beans were the most yucky according to my class with jelly beans the least! We'd planted 'magic' beans like Jack and then left different sorts of beans next to them and asked the children to sort them into which were beans/which not - all being beans. Talked about them a bit and then left them to investigate.
    We have a sunflower competition and so plant the seeds soon - again not very instant. We've planted potatoes this week and will plant different flower seeds in the next few weeks. We ask the children to bring in an 'inventive' container from home - last year I had wellies, teapot, seaside buckets, plant pots, plastic ice ceam tubs and best of all a lovely Belfast Sink - which will definitely be used again this year! We make beed feeders too - they mix up a fatty/lardy mix (see RSPB) and then roll and squidge it into a pine cone and then roll it in bird seed which we hand up in trees around school or they take home. Bigger pine cones work best for this.
    All the best with Ofsted.