1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted and the New Framework

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Sally006, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

Has anyone been “done” with the new framework? Any insight? Ours is pending and we’re getting all sorts of panic stricken directives about what Ofsted want, what we must do, mustn’t do etc. Most of it seems “knee jerk” and bonkers. I welcome any insight from folks who can say what it is really like..

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Yes. It was fine. Don't worry.

And they don't really 'want' anything.

Sally006 likes this.
  3. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

Yes.
    Back in the Autumn.
    It is bonkers.
    And they wanted lots of stuff they never used to and refused point blank to look at data (even the statutory data).

4. Sally006

I’m the Maths lead so anticipate the usual grilling - not so this time? We had a dip in results so I was sure there would be questions. All sounding very weird.

5. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Extremely likely they will look at maths as one of the ‘deep dives’.

6. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It will depend to a degree on who does the inspection. Have a look on twitter to get a feel for things. There are a few horror stories out there as usual. Overall Ofsted view probably depends on a few things outside your control anyway.

Mention "curriculum" a lot, "knowledge" at every opportunity, and speak confidently about why you teach things in the order that you do... Dropping in "cognitive load theory" might help. That's very popular at the moment.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Scintillant

This sort of thing makes me laugh. Ask them what they think caused it and how you would go about identifying any causal factors.

8. Sally006

Never heard of that one! The buzz word in our MAT is “metacognition”. Why can’t we speak plainly and call it “thinking skills”?

agathamorse likes this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yep we had it...

They want to see that staff are following the policies as laid out by the SLT/MAT chain ... the SLT will have to justify that policy but as long as the teachers are following that policy then no worries.

They want to see that if a group is targeted by the school (DA, EAL, boys etc) then teachers are acting accordingly.

So a school I know of got outstanding when their marking policy is to not mark. Our policy is books are marked every two weeks so Ofsted gave us good for that ... were staff following policy.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ofsted have zero interest in being challenged. They are there to reach a judgement on the school. Playing silly games with them in time-wasting and unprofessional.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It's absolutely essential that you don't giggle when the OFSTED Inspector arrives in your classroom:

[​IMG]

12. Scintillant

It is the most important question if improvements are to be made as Sally, the OP, anticipates. If it cannot be answered, the whole thing is a house of cards and she has to hope the things she suggests will be accepted.

13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Maybe Coronavirus will put paid to Inspections for a while.
    Every cloud.....

14. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

@magic surf bus is that the Winchester cathedral diver? He was the great uncle of a friend of mine. Extraordinary story.

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

[Edit] Yes it is, having just done an image search for Winchester Cathedral Diver.

mothorchid likes this.