1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED AND TEACHING ASSISTANTS-DO THEY TALK TO YOU?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by deleted964, Jun 14, 2010.

1. A friend of mine had Ofsted in last week and even though they have 8 Teaching Assistants not one of them was questioned by Ofsted. Is it the norm for Ofsted to ignore the TA's or was this a one off?

We are due to have our inspection this term and I have all my evidence set out and am organised and ready for the visit. I hope they do speak to me as I would appreciate their input.

2. A friend of mine had Ofsted in last week and even though they have 8 Teaching Assistants not one of them was questioned by Ofsted. Is it the norm for Ofsted to ignore the TA's or was this a one off?

We are due to have our inspection this term and I have all my evidence set out and am organised and ready for the visit. I hope they do speak to me as I would appreciate their input.

3. Well back in December when they arrived , I was question on the job (early years ) for a good twenty minutes . She was interested to know what i knew about safety issues (she watched me like a hawk ) . I was asked about how we worked as a team and did i get any planning . over the days that the ofsted were there to observe and question they had seen me work in three different year groups . It is horrible but i would advise you to read up on health and safety and your schools policy on safe guarding children . Do not panic about displays they will look at them to see if its up for a learning purpose so dont rip down that can be just fixed with a new border or cleaned up !
    Try and relax , smile and be happy it will spread to the children and hopefully they will be good for you too .
    Good luck they are only there for a short time oh yes suggest to your head teacher to find a room just for them to have coffee , tea and lunch in and to write up notes ect and not to use the staff room .

4. Having been through 3 or 4 ofsted inspections I'm always amazed nobody asks me what I'm doing with my group outside the class.
    They don't ask the teacher for any information either.
    If I was an inspector I'd want to know that the teacher had input in all children in the class, not just the potential level 4 kids.

5. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

I have been through 4 (I think - could actually be 5!) Ofsted inspections and there hasn't been a consistent policy regarding TAs - the worst one watched me several times in a Learning Mentor role and discussed it with me but couldn't fit it in to any of her tickboxes so just failed to mention it altogether! First couple mentioned TAs and professional skills in their report but latter ones haven't, although teachers have been told that their use of a TA was good and, apparently, this is now a common attitude of Ofsted - TAs are a resource and how good or bad they are is purely down to how well teachers use them - dopesn't seem to be much recognition that they might be outstanding professionals in their own right!
    In our last inspection teachers were told a likely timetable of visits and one year group sent their TA to the opposite class so that she was never seen because they had been told that they would be held responsible for TA's performance! I had to chase this team round the school to get them to listen to things I wanted to tell them too - maybe someone was trying to keep them away from me as well!

6. Yes they do. I have been observed and questioned. I also had to go to a meeting with them along with another TA. The inspector was lovely so not at all daunting.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Our TAs have always been observed and questioned during inspections. They even graded one outstandingbelieving she was a teacher.

8. I am a Teaching Assistant and was observed by an ofsted inspector teaching a music lesson to 26 year 5 children. I was given excellent feedback and yes the inspector was very nice, down to earth and positive. I have been questioned in all 5 of the ofsted inspections which our school has had. Good Luck, be positive and I am sure it will all be alright. It is not as daunting as it may first seem.

9. Hi. I am a newly qualified Teaching Assistant and I am going to help the teacher run my first music lesson to a class of 7 year olds. Bit apprehensive. We are going to teach them to play percussion instruments. Any teaching assistants help me with what kind of role will I have to play in organising, using and maintaining learning resources, materials and equipment? What aspects of safety are there?. If the kids misbehave how can I encourage them to behave. What form of record can I take? Any help would be appreciated.