1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted and PPA

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by YesMrBronson, Apr 28, 2012.

1. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Was the result unanimous? If not, then what about the people who voted no? You seem to be saying that their PPA has been removed at the behest of other teachers!
    All teachers are ENTITLED to PPA. It's not a discretional thing for Head's (though some treat it as if it is, especially in primary). No one needs to give up PPA to get the school a favourable judgement from Ofsted. I would be livid if I was at your school in this situation and certainly would not give up PPA time.
    Ludicrous.

2. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

Aside from the issue of entitlement (if HLTAs are covering your PPA, I suspect that it will be quite easy to pay you back), OFSTED really are unlikely to care whether schools treat their staff properly.
    I don't recall seeing any mention of that in the framework!

3. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

We have all been told that we will not get our PPA when ofsted land, but that it will be paid back the following week for the members of staff that it affects.
    I can't imagine ofsted will care one way or the other

4. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Are all members of staff happy with this? In the unlikely event that this is the case then obviously that's your prerogative.
    However, if not then you absolutely DO NOT have to give up PPA time, whether the school pledge to "pay you back" or not. They definitely can NOT move your PPA time. Yout union will back you.

5. Chull

Chull New commenter

We will get the time back. Our head is really flexible over things like PPA. If it falls on a bank holiday or INSET day or a person is on a course they are allowed to rearrange it.
    We agreed as a whole staff to not have PPA during the visit. (well, no one voiced any opposition so not exactly the same thing!)

6. cleggy1611

cleggy1611 New commenter

Hi. The last time we got inspected, I made the point that it was my ppa time to the ht (on the day of inspection.) She replied that no one was getting ppa during inspection. I dug my heals in, saying I hadn't planned anything because I thought I was on ppa. She let me have it, but later blamed me for the school only getting satisfactory! Rediculous.