1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted and Hamilton trust?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, Apr 11, 2012.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Anyone ever based their planning on h trust and had ofsted? I usually don't touch h trust with a big stick but am having a terrible time planning y2 explanation texts on my science.... So was thinking of using and adapting their planning but wondering how ofsted would respond, or if they'd even notice.... I know it's not a great to use but am really very stuck and need a skeleton to hang it on... Thoughts?

2. Hi L. what content are you trying to plan for? What explanation texts? Im sure there are lots of alternatives/time to think. eve

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

As long as your plan shows that it is clearly perfect for your class, fits in to a long term plan and allows al children to make excellent progress, Ofsted won't care two hoots where it comes from. If your plan shows your ideas for your class then the fact you started from a hamilton plan rather than a framework plan won't matter at all.

If you print out a hamilton plan, exactly as is with no adaptions at all. Teach that lesson with no thought to prior attainment. And then realise few children made any progress. Ofsted (and your HT) would tell you the lesson was inadequate or, if lucky, satisfactory (or whatever the current words are). but I don't imagine for a moment that is what you would do.

I don't subscribe to hamilton and haven't ever heard great things about them, other than they make life easy for teachers, so I'm probably not best placed to advise on how good or not they are.

4. We use Hamilton Trust for science and base lesson plans around them - like minnie says, we don't use it word for word but adapt. I have to say, as a non-scientist, I find them useful and have had good feedback in a recent science planning and book scrutiny.

5. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Well it's not guaranteed they'll come but just thinking ahead! I wouldn't just use them as they are but would probably use their topics and follow their structure through the unit.... Aaarghhhh... It's just there isn't really any other examples out there which match the topics we're doing and need support with this one!

6. I use Hamilton to kind of hang my lessons on if I'm stuck for a way to approach something- I was observed by Ofsted last year doing a science lesson based on an idea from Hamilton (obviously adapted and adjusted to suit my class) and got really good feedback so I don't think (as others have already said) that it matters to idea or basis is from Hamilton so long as you make it fit your class and deliver it in your own way. I've found that it's a good place to get starting points or creative/ different approaches to a themeif you've never taught it before or need a change. I'm sure you will be fab! Best of luck [​IMG]

7. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

That's good, thank you. I won't just use it as it is and will adapt it for my class... Just finding this unit soooo hard to plan and can't find anything else to hang it on... sigh!