1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED and Google images

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Giggleswick, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Heard today that a school got in trouble with OFSTED when a pupil used Google images in the ICT lesson. Anyone heard anything about this?

2. Very strange!
    As long as the source was quoted, did not hold a copyright and the image was not manipulated and used as the students own, I can't see what the problem would be?
    Could it not have been in the planning?

3. aw27

aw27 New commenter

I did an ofsted lesson in ICT last year using images from the internet (mainly google) and no comment was made - the lesson was graded highly in fact, so if they do say something its an inconsistent approach (not that that should surprise anyone...)

4. Can you define "got into trouble"?
    Was it a primary or secondary school?
    What were the nature of the images?
    Some LAs advise caution when using Google to search for images, especially if the LA filtering is not brilliant. There are other, safer search engines.
    Some Inspectors have bees in their bonnets about trivialissues.

5. Primary - story goes they were down graded on safeguarding as a result. Don't know what the images were.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I would have thought that evidence of testing the filters would be good.
    Get 3 members of staff together (pref Head ICT and a SLT among them), and try typing in some obvious childish words. Take notes. Take screen shot of what results.
    We tried, ahem, the word that rhymes with tum (avoiding TES filter here!) with some results that showed us that the filter needed refining!
    Proof to Ofsted that you are taking this seriously.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October seminars - see you there!

7. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Don't know if it's an urban myth but heard this on ICT coordinators course. A teacher googled 'prince albert' on the white board - KS2 topic Victorians. Apparently, and I lead a very sheltered life so did not know, this is the name for a piercing of an intimate area of a gentleman's body. Not sure about the name, maybe the monarch was a bit of a lad.
    Anyway, apparently large images of said piercing was projected onto the board and the teacher's blouse when she tried to shield the images.
    This may be why ofsted are a bit twitchy and why we are investigating other search engines!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You want to look at "fox" pictures!!

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

I just tried it too - and with all filtering turned off! Amazing, 3,740,000 pictures of furry rodents variously swimming about in lakes and chewing trees (although I confess that I got bored with looking at them and stopped after after page 28). I'm sure your nephew found them useful for his project.

10. When doing a D.T. project on containers, a year 6 pupil typed 'jugs' into google images. The results were quite shocking for her (and me!).

11. Maybe the answer is just to avoid using Google images during an inspection![​IMG]