1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED and BTEC Lessons

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by PoundStretcher, Oct 19, 2011.

1. PoundStretcher

PoundStretcher New commenter

Hello all
    We have a number of BTEC classes at Key Stage 4 and was wondering what people's thoughts and strategies are regarding teaching BTEC for observation or OFSTED lessons? Students within a BTEC programme can have a sequence of lessons where they are working on assignment work but within a single lesson which is observed, how is it possible if this is the case to show stretch and challenge within this single lesson? Starters and plenaries also go ahead as per other lessons, but any strategies in relation to the above would be appreciated.
    I think that it's something that will raise its head over the coming months as the new framework for OFSTED is implemented and the focus being switched to looking more at teaching and learning.
    Many thanks for your thoughts in advance.

2. I've been observed with OFSTED in a BTEC lesson. For the observation its about focusing on the criteria rather than the assignment. The stretch and challenge can be brought in by giving them the opportunity to do the P criteria and then the more able can move onto the M.

The important part is them showing progress. I did slightly switch the criterias around when they were coming in to make it easier to have a criteria that they could achieve mostly in the lesson. You need to then make it clear when the inspector is in the room that to progress and improve their grade they must move to the M criteria.

The key which is hard for BTEC is the group work element as the criteria as judged as an individual. I used peer assessment to cover this element.

The inspector was happy about my lesson and I got an outstanding so it can be done with BTEC.

Hope that helps

3. badgerbunny

badgerbunny New commenter

When I was OFSTEDed recently I planned a theory lesson that helped students going towards the merit part of a assignment.
    It was a bit out of sync and fake really because they should have been getting on with an assignment but I played it safe so I could show progress within the lesson in term of knowledge.
    ALternatively, when OFSTED call you need to tell your management that your students are in the middle of assignment competion so if the inspectors come into the room that is what they should expect to see.
    Some people have suggested that you could do some work on peer assessment of each others assignments or look at good/poor assignment work which ticks some boxes.

4. I always play it safe and switch it round so that it's a theory lesson. We've just had OFSTED and they liked lessons that had lots of activities so that the students didn't switch off. This was with level 3 in a college.

5. PoundStretcher

PoundStretcher New commenter

Thanks for the comments so far everyone. The main point that seems to be coming out of this is the same old point with an OFSTED inspection - how many boxes are you able to tick in the course of a 30 minutes or 1 hour observation. In essence it would be difficult to undertake anything other than a theory lesson if you want to get outstanding. This was reinforced when speaking to an OFSTED inspector today as he basically said that regardless of them working at a higher level, what doing assignments during lesson time is is akin to supervised study. It would be interesting to see if this is an attitude that is across OFSTED or just a personal opinion.