1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted and a supply TA

Discussion in 'Primary' started by greta444, Jan 2, 2012.

1. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I have been in this situation and I was criticised by OFSTED because they thought my TA didn't seem to know what she was supposed to be doing. I had thoroughly gone through the lesson with the TA but she didn't do exactly what I had asked and didn't tell me if she didn't understand what I was asking of her. I was cross with both the TA for not telling me if she didn't understand my instructions (or if she did, for not following them) and OFSTED for not taking into account the situation. I think if it happened again and OFSTED were in, I would rather do without a TA.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would do what you need to do to ensure the TA can do their job as effectively as possible in the classroom. Worry about Ofsted if and when they turn up.

If they turn up next week, then you might prefer not to have a TA that day. If they turn up just before Feb half term, you should have a good routine in place and be working well with the new TA.

I had a new afternoon 1:1 TA start after October half term. She had worked a lot with secondary children before but wanted to move to primary. Afternoons in year 2 were a big shock to her, but Ofsted still, rightly, expected me to enable her to be effective in the classroom.

3. Yep I think given a few weeks with a consistent supply TA id be able to get routines in place, it's just if they come fairly soon into the term before i've had time to do this. Thanks for the replies.