1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFQUAL - This years exam results

Discussion in 'Personal' started by border_walker, Apr 3, 2020.

1. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

agathamorse and needabreak like this.
  2. gainly

gainly Star commenter

border_walker likes this.
  3. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Usual endless red tape and bureaucratic quagmire.

Why not give every student affected a lockdown certificate and then allow/encourage all colleges and employers to administer a test to these as part of the application process - as many do anyhow, whether you have your school papers or not.

4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Many have already been sent uni offers how would that work with them if they are to start this year? I mean how would it work and is it better than the proposed plan for year 13?

5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I hope the appeals panel is bracing itself.

Jamvic, steely1, Shedman and 4 others like this.
  6. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Agree it is a mess and no easy solution but teacher assessed final grades?

Having said that yes, will read up more on the finer details as I cannot say I have.

needabreak and agathamorse like this.
  7. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

So how will it work for home schooled or those with 1 to 1 tutors as you can't rank the students.

agathamorse and needabreak like this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There was some talk about having some additional exams the students could take if they disagreed with their grades.

I wonder if anything more has come of that.

needabreak likes this.
  9. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

@Wotton There is detail on private candidates in the guidance to schools.
    @peakster As to the autumn exams, the guidance says they are still working on it.

10. border_walker

11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

If anyone objects they are free to take the exam in the autumn.

I can see fairness within a class, but across classes in the same school and between schools? How will the results be treated when it comes to deciding if teachers and schools have hit their targets?

I predict every teacher and school in the country will forecast their best ever results which is a shame for those that really would be in line for their best ever results.

steely1, dleaf12 and bombaysapphire like this.
  12. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

It's been explicitly stated that results will not be used to assess schools. Let's put that issue to bed.
    The statistical approach already in use at Awarding will help deal with schools that are over optimistic.
    There are clear instructions for moderation between classes.
    I think they have generated a surprisingly good solution to an intractable problem.

Jamvic, mothorchid, mathsman and 2 others like this.
  13. border_walker

But they will then get downgraded in line with previous results. it is very important that the schools get the rank order correct and the spread. Not doing so will penalise some of their students. Suspect if schools do get this wrong they will get the abuse from students and parents.

tenpast7 and agathamorse like this.
  14. border_walker

Agree, i forcast this would be the way some time ago.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I am so annoyed - my top set were on course to break all the records and my middle set did well in their mocks too.

steely1 and agathamorse like this.
  16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

This is what I meant.

An individual child becomes no.12 in a middle set of 25 in a school in the 3rd quartile - or similar. I know it probably makes little or no difference in the great scheme of things and there is no real alternative other than taking the actual exams, but I also know that there is a great pressure on teachers and schools to perform and here is a way some will try to game the system.

At the very least, some will be spared the effects of a relatively weak exam cohort while others will not benefit from a relatively stronger one, it will be a race towards the average.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    agathamorse likes this.
  17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Lst your our foundation sets performed very well in the exams and achieved results well beyond what they had been predicted. I suspect something similar would have occurred this year too.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I realise this is all just about a done deal
    But
    I just think the whole of their school year needs to be retaken.
    Year 11 again from the start.
    Maybe year 10s too.
    Oooooo, think of the cost.
    And the anxiety of being the wrong age..
    And the recouped opportunity.

The issue I have is around not the results and the certificates, but rather around the loss of process. Which is inherently valuable. It's a formative stage.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  19. border_walker

I have seen the effect of similar computer standardisation on remarked, school marked coursework. A level most got it more or less right. GCSE some marking was all over the place, and virtually all was over marked, some massively so. When the order was wrong it did create some interesting effects. Getting the order and spread right is essential. if you try and fiddle the results, it could work, or it could penalise many students.

ajrowing and Mangleworzle like this.
  20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Another problem is the loss of time is going to knock on into next year. Geography for example has a huge syllabus and the loss of this time is vital. Some kids are going to work in this time but many others will not. When we do back the first few weeks is going to be pretty chaotic.

Jamvic and agathamorse like this.