1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofqual rescues ‘wrongly entered’ GCSE pupils from failure but who is to blame for the mix-up?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Aug 21, 2018.

1. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

Not correct I'm afraid - the bottom of a Grade 4 is the same as the bottom of a C grade. Anyone that would have got a D grade previously would now get a grade 3 (alongside some of the top E grades)

2. install

install Star commenter

Yes the very bottom of a grade C - and the grade 4 does not count as a pass on the League Tables. So, more confusion

3. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

It was N I think. Between E and little f, if I remember correctly.

install likes this.
  4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Back in '77 it was the grade below E (which was a pass back then). My friend got an O and 2 Ns in his A levels.

install likes this.
  5. phlogiston

I stand corrected - I sure that there was not meant to be a direct correlation between 4 and C earlier in the process.

install likes this.
  6. ScienceGuy

They decided that Grades 1, 4 and 7 would be the equivalent grades i.e.G = 1, C = 4 and A = 7. They needed to do this to ensure that equivalency was possible between the old and new specifications.

Who knows what they were thinking earlier in the process - lots of different ideas were mooted but they went for one that, whilst not perfect, does allow some direct conversions to ease explanations.

strawbs and install like this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

It all gets interesting with mark.enquiries too..With so many Us in the higher tier - does that mean more mk enquiries? Too many have fallen off the tier grade and got ungraded - a gamble maybe that isnt fair with the tiered approach.

8. sadscientist

sadscientist Established commenter

In Science, way too many pupils were entered for Higher Tier who couldn't cope with the questions or apply the facts they'd learned. (I marked Higher Chem and Bio). Most of those who fell off the bottom at Higher would have got a a grade that fairly represented their ability if they'd done Foundation. It really shouldn't be about gambling, should it?

install likes this.
  9. install

install Star commenter

Completely agree - its not a good system and there are problems

It looks like approx 2,300 students still got a U on the Higher Tier, even after Ofqual intervention. That is approx 1.5 percent of the Higher Tier...:eek:

It doesn't sell tiered exams to me

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  10. ScienceGuy

I suspect a large number of these entries will be at a relatively small number of schools who tried (and failed) to play the system. As the maths boundaries were low last year, they gambled on weaker students chancing their way to 4-4.

install likes this.
  11. install

install Star commenter

Yes and once you have easy low grade boundaries you risk more game playing going on with grades in the higher tier exams.

12. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

I don't remember the same level of game playing existing when intermediate existed.

Too many of the arguments against tiers appear aimed at the current tiers rather than most maths teachers' (at least the ones I know) preference.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  13. install

install Star commenter

And it isnt just Maths tiers that have current issues. Its also Science tiers. And not all gcses have tiers - Yet, all gcses have grades 9 to 1? Where is the consistency?

We are seeing a big problem.with the grade 4 area in both Maths and Science. Both gcses with tiers.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  14. phlogiston

Some subjects can have differentiation by outcome, Some subjects have so much detail and a greater level of right /wrong as opposed to discussion that a different method of assessment iis needed. Maths and the sciences have a lot of content, with very different outcomes for level 9 and level 1. Proper assessment requires differentiated assessment. A level 9 candidate doesn't need to be asked 1/4 + 0.5, a level 1 or 2 candidate doesn't need complex algebra but does need a chance to show basic manipulation of numbers..
    I'm repeating myself.
    We didn't have this level of game playing when I was back in mainstream a couple of years ago. If we predicted them a C with the chance of a B we went for higher, If we thought a bad day might bring a D we often went for foundation. Sometimes we negotiated with the child or their parent. The key thing was, that it didn't really matter which tier we put them in for because they usually got the results we expected. This time round, the assessment was different, the grading was different and some schools seem to have made a serious mess of their entries. It probably won't happen next year.

nervousned, blazer and install like this.
  15. install

install Star commenter

Agree in part. Why do you think the errors in tiered entries happened and do you blame schools ?Wasn't game playing going on with early entry to be fair in tiered gcses before now?

16. BG54

BG54 New commenter

That isn't necessarily true. Two of my recent Year 11 tutees went on to obtain grades 7 and 8 respectively but both found fractions quite challenging without a calculator.

install and nervousned like this.
  17. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Not sure 'play the system' is fair.
    I remember advice from an exam board in the past that if a student was regularly perfroming at D, then they should be entered for the higher tier rather than the lower. Think that was Edexcel but can't be 100% sure now and it was a good few years back. It wasn't seen as 'playing the system' - just giving the child the best possible chancce of getting the best possible grade.

install likes this.
  18. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

In the old standard grade system (Scottish GCSE equivalent) all students sat papers in two tiers out of 3 tiers altogether. Some did Higher and internmediate, some did intermediate and foundation. But then the SQA is the sole examining board there, there isn't the same commercial competition between exam boards.

yodaami2 and install like this.
  19. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

No it was an N I think, but was a long time ago. it was below an A Level pass grade, with U being an outright fail.

install likes this.
  20. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

It was an O grade, I got it for Maths:(

border_walker and install like this.