1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofqual: 'do not rely on any predictions of grade boundary marks for new GCSEs'

Discussion in 'Education news' started by freckle06, Jul 13, 2017.

1. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

I was looking for some advice about how to come up with some grade boundaries when I came across a blog from Ofqual:

https://ofqual.blog.gov.uk/2017/02/03/grade-boundaries-the-problems-with-predictions/

'Our advice to schools would be this: do not rely on any predictions of grade boundary marks for new GCSEs next summer. They are only a best guess, regardless of any modelling that might have been done. If the boundaries in the summer turn out to be different, which is quite likely for all the reasons set out above, you and you students might be disappointed.'

So how does this work with performance related pay and the like? How are schools meant to prove progress with no levels and no real idea of where the grade boundaries lie?

The last time I was dealing with predictions, SLT were most unhappy with my err on the side of caution approach. I kept being asked 'what is the impact of ..." I was told off for saying that we'd find out when the results came it!