1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Official Government “preferred” supply teaching agencies list 2018-20

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by ct186, Dec 3, 2018.

1. ct186

ct186 New commenter

The question that gets asked the most in this supply thread:
    Which supply teaching agency should I apply to?” According to TES T&C I’m not allowed recommend, but I’m sure the government can!Apparently the government have had “a preferred list” since 1/9/18, and here it is in all its glory:

https://ccs-agreements.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/contracts/rm3826
    1> scroll all the way down to the table
    2> click "Documents"tab
    3> click “Current Accredited Suppliers.

First of all, the sign posting for this information is terrible. As a supply teacher I would never have found it without some digging, it is buried so deep in jargon and masses of text. I don’t think newbie supply teachers (actually any type of supply teacher for that fact) is going to think “right I’m doing supply teaching work, I need to google Crown Commercial Services Supply Teacher framework which is probably located on the governments cabinet office website”.

Can anyone tell me if it is any use? I suppose it’s a start but at this moment in time it just seems to be a list of names, it tells me nothing of minimum daily standard rates or why I should choose one over another.

2. educ80

educ80 Occasional commenter

Hi ct186
    Its true, the government have set this up but it is tantamount to stroking the commercial concerns of big business and being perceived as acting to save money from the 'scourge of Education budgets' the supply agencies. In short:
    1 - It has been poorly promoted nationally - schools have all had letters and emails but nothing has really been advertised to the general public or teaching profession. It would have been logical to promote through the unions, but as the Unions are currently in bed with other providers I imagine it doesn't fall in line with the Unions business interests now.
    2 - It stops woefully short of being supportive of teachers (Umbrella companies are still allowed to operate in the sector, pay is not to scale, teachers still aren't allowed to contribute to teacher pensions, no CPD provision etc)
    3 - It isn't mandatory that schools use it. in fact they will only receive info about it if they have previously actively responded to requests in February to go on the mailing list.
    4 - Agencies, unless schools are REALLY clued up, can act the same as before and charge the same and schools don't really know where to find information out.

It comes across as a PR stunt to satisfy the public that Public sector money is being 'spent properly' - "Look, everyone, we've organized a 'Scheme'. Ignore the budget cuts and look at this scheme"
    Whereas in reality it will have little to no effect on school spends as agencies can sit outside it and schools can still use them.

As for supply staff, I asked a representative at the Crown Commercial Service to tell me where the information for supply teachers is so I could advertise the company I work for (I manage a supply agency who are part of the CCS) and encourage people to become knowledgeable about it. The answer was the link above, which gives no geographical information (i.e. where these agencies operate) and is simply a list of agencies - sometimes parent company names - which doesn't help. It is still down to each individual supply teacher to negotiate their way through the miasma of supply, hoping they don't get screwed over.

JohnJCazorla, ct186 and tonymars like this.
  3. supply287

supply287 New commenter

This popped up?

Don't know what this is?

In order to choose a supplier in your area and see their pricing, please contact supplyteachers@crowncommercial.gov.uk for a copy of the Agency Selection Tool.

4. educ80

Have you used it? Hopefully that's worthwhile, it would be interesting to know if/how it works.

Thanks

5. educ80

6. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

It's a ridiculous scheme that no one asked for. There are no guidelines to explain how the so called approved agencies got their accreditation. Waste of time and money. No impact at all on our jobs or pay.

pepper5 and JohnJCazorla like this.