1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Office chair - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by rosaespanola, Dec 12, 2015.

1. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

Can anyone recommend a place to buy an office chair that'll be good and durable but not stupidly expensive? Or even a particular chair you've got that you really like?
    My partner spends a lot of time at his computer and he appears to put all of his weight onto one side of the chair, because his previous (large, sturdy looking) office chair basically collapsed to one side and the whole back and side came off. He's currently using a little folding chair which doesn't look very comfortable (and is also now listing slightly drunkenly to one side!) so I thought I might get him a new one for Christmas, but there seems to be a LOT out there. All recommendations gratefully received!

2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I got my current one from John Lewis, sorry don't know the model. In the shop they have a section for returns or things with bits missing, got it for about £120 which was half price. Someone had taken it out of the box and put it together then changed their mind and sent it back, so it was perfect apart from a missing couple of plastic stoppers that went over screw holes, they even delivered it for free!

Not a reliable method, but worth a look if you go to a town that has a store.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

http://www.officeresale.co.uk/

These have the top ergonomic chairs for really good prices. Still expensive but they usually cost many hundreds. Mine came from there.

4. rosaespanola

Thanks, I'll have a look at them. We do have a John Lewis so I'll see if they've got anything good, although that would mean venturing into town the week before Christmas!

5. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Probably the best advice with this sort of thing is to find somewhere that has lots of chairs on display and sit in them to find which one suits.

Try to get one with a metal spider supporting the castors rather than a plastic one. I just had to replace the spider on mine because of that.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I have an amazing office chair I inherited from my father when he retired. It's almost Star Trek like and I love it.

Sorry, I've not got a clue where it was purchased.

7. grumpydogwoman

8. rosaespanola

Wow...some of those chairs are more than I spent on my first car! Definitely a good article for giving me an idea what sort of things to look for though, I think I will probably have to march his wonky-sittingness down to an office chair shop and see what he likes. I was hoping to be able to keep it as a surprise, but no point spending a load on something that might not suit him.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  9. grumpydogwoman

Well, that's where officeresale can come in. They're reconditioned. Reupholstered. But still expensive.

Yes, s od the surprise. No substitute for consumer-testing unfortunately.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Looked at those chairs linked to by GDW and ... none are as good as my chair!

Oh yeah....

11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I think there's a lot of BS surrounding office chairs via the "what price your back?" tactic. The best I ever had cost me £20 at an auction from a closed down office, eventually the cloth covering was too worn through for Mrs. M. to countenance having in the house and so it went.

I work from home and sit in mine all day long, it's as adjustable as I want, very comfortable and never caused me any posture of pain problems, at £120 it was also lot less than the £1000 Herman Miller that the woman in John Lewis was trying to get me to buy

12. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter