1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

office and SLT structures

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by cornflake, Jun 20, 2015.

1. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

As HT I am drowning in admin and can't focus on School improvement. For sometime I have asking Governors to look at leadership and office structures, and now I have finally "lost it" they are starting to listen.

210 primary; HT, class based DH (has one day for SENCO\DH), one TLR post holder, one PT finance officer and 1x15 hours admin/receptionist, one caretaker.

Am I being unreasonable expecting more office support? Is anyone willing to share details of structure so I can think about how to solve this. thanks

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

100 primary, HT who is also SENCO, class based AH ( no AH time) no other TLR post holders. 16 hr finance manager, 20 hr admin, 1 caretaker.

Not enough time for anyone to do their job correctly!

3. cornflake

Thanks for information :). Please don't tell me you have a teaching commitment?!

It's interesting that we have double the number of children/parents (and presumably, but not necessarily, personnel) but the same level of office/care taking.

4. Ruthiesword

Ruthiesword New commenter

239 school HT, teaching DHT, three TLR (specific school issues so all three needed), 1 full time admin and 2 part time. I am very lucky, and feel bad for any moaning I've ever done now

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I'm the AH, not the Head but yes a small teaching commitment- 2 afternoons a week PPA cover!

We have 4 teachers, 4 TAs ( plus a 1:1) and need all the office time we can get!!

6. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

68 primary. HT with 0.5 teaching commitment. SENCO currently with 1 hour a week, soon to be upped to 0.1. No DH, AH or TLRs , one administration/finance 27 hours a week, one caretaker/cleaner.

And no, you are not being unreasonable. If your county is anything like ours more and more work is being pushed down for schools to complete. Your focus should be school improvement. If you are spending too much time on administration, that is not value for money.

7. southernteacher

southernteacher New commenter

60 children, 2.5 teaching commitment (in a good week), Senco, PE co-ordinator, caretaker, fixer of plasters on broken knees, weeder (as in garden invaders), part-time dinner lady, washer-up of mugs left on the side, oh I could go on lol x :)

8. cornflake

Thanks everyone. Both myself and DH have often had to work as lunchtime supervisors too as we just can't recruit any (rural location). I don't know how anyone manages to do this mad job and teach (I wanted to, but came to realise I was short-changing the children)....

I think it's clear we need more admin support ... Somehow!

9. madasahatter

madasahatter New commenter

720 pupils, 2 x DHTs (5 hours teaching commitment p/w) and 1 x AHT (2.5 days teaching). Office: 1 x SBM, 1 x bursar, 1 x pupil data/attendance officer, 1 x receptionist

10. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I have just finished my first year as a headteacher.Yay; I love my job, yet it is so much harder than I ever imagined!

80 pupils, HT teaches 0.3. No DHT, no AHT. Two TLRs wih 0.1 leadership time. 1 full time administrator. Part time bursar from the county who visits once a fortnight. 1 cleaner, no caretaker at the moment. 2 MSAs but I also do lunchtime duty in the dining room every day.