1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFFICAL PETITION - Bursary changes (no bursary for 2011, bursary back for 2012!)

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by anon331, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Just thought that I'd let you all know that I've created a petition on the HM Government website. It's only just got up and running and so I would hope I haven't duplicated a petition that someone else has done. As soon as it's approved I'll post the link. If the petition gets over a certain number of signatures then the house of commons HAS to debate and discuss it.

2. Just thought that I'd let you all know that I've created a petition on the HM Government website. It's only just got up and running and so I would hope I haven't duplicated a petition that someone else has done. As soon as it's approved I'll post the link. If the petition gets over a certain number of signatures then the house of commons HAS to debate and discuss it.

3. What a brilliant idea, especially considering some students have had the decision reversed. Thank you for doing that. As soon as you post the link I will be on there

4. Here's the link to the petition, please sign it and share it with friends and family! 100,000 signatures and it could go for debate at the House of Commons!

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/162

Please sign and post it on facebook, twitter and wherever else.

Thanks

Caroline

5. Shall definitely be signing it .............thank you for suggesting! Can't access at the moment - high level of demand me thinks!!!!!

6. Think all the riot related ones has sent it a little doolally! Keep trying :)

7. Thanks for doing this! Have spent my lunch hour trying to get on but the website still keeps crashing I guess still with the riots petition. Will keep trying! Need to spread the word around and get as many many to sign as quickly as we can!

8. There had been loads of problems but they shut the site overnight and it's now working fine :)

I emailed some unis asking if they'd pass it on to students and a couple of the replies I've had are ridiculous! A head of the PGCE at one university told me that yes 2012 students will get a bursary if the proposals go ahead but they'll also have fees of £9,000 and so me and others starting in 2011 will be considerably better of! He also said that he would imagine that many of those hoping to start in 2012 would be happy to swap places with me and suggested that I rethink my protest. Err what cloud is this man living on?! Fees MIGHT be £9,000 but not all will be above £6,000. They'll get a higher fee loan for that anyway so without the bursary, we'd both be in exactly the same financial situation, they'd just have a few more thousand to pay after but spread out. I'd take higher fees that I get to spread the payment for over years and have the bursary to support you through the year than lower fees and no bursary personally and I think that the majority would as well!