1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Offering to train student teachers

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by pest1, Jun 14, 2011.

1. With money belts getting tight, I am considering offering to take on a student teacher. Can anyone give advice on this one?

2. mpc

mpc

Not sure how this would benefit you financially?

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

contact your local PGCE "supplier"

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Your school should receive funds from the college of the student. This goes into the school budget not into your pocket. Some colleges insist you attend training as a mentor and they pay. Last time I did this Birmingham Uni paid me £20 per hour to attend 3 x 3 hour sessions. So £180 minus tax etc. However there is no payment for the work you do in school with them. Also check with your school. In some places the moeny just goes into the whole school budget and is not devolved to the department with the student.

5. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Yes - if that's your reason, don't bother!
    One dept this year had a trainee. The dept will get £450 into capitation for hosting the trainee. She managed to run up a photocopying bill in excess of this during her placement.
    The school gets a weekly "fee" for hosting. Of that, we allocate a sum to pay for the supply of the laptop they have whilst with us. The rest is then used to pay the professional mentor and the subject department. It's really not a money spinner.

6. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

This is why it is better to do your Teacher Training via a university.............. at least you rotate schools and teachers are able to give you the time that is required as a mentor. Lets face it some teachers are good mentors others see it as a complete burden and do as little as possible.

7. I would suggest to that department that they should not have let the trainee run up the bill. The trainee could have been trained about adhering to budgets perhaps.

8. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I would agree, but the bill obviously came AFTER the money had been spent.
    My point was that having a trainee in the hope of making some money was a bad idea. I am sure that my colleagues would agree that they're not in it for the money!

9. lovely_lorz

lovely_lorz New commenter

Hey!
    I am a PGCE subject mentor in my department. The department does get some money for having the trainee but some schools choose not to give the money to the subject departments and just put it into the whole school 'pot' so to speak.
    This year I got a £35 book voucher for attending a twilight training session but I certainly didn't get any other money for my work or training. The book voucher was a nice bonus as the past few years we haven't been given anything.
    I don't think having a student is a good way of getting extra money, either personally or for the department. It is also a lot of extra work. You have to give up one free period a week for the mentor meetings, but in reality if you want to give your student the amount of support that (even a very good) student teacher often needs you actually lose a lot more time than that. On top of that is the filling in of the many forms and also doing lesson observations and feeding back to them from these.
    I absolutely LOVE having student teachers in our department. I love their fresh and exciting ideas. I love mentoring them and seeing them improve and grow as teachers and this is the reason why I do it. I would say that unless you enjoy working with student teachers and enjoy the mentoring role then it is a lot of extra work without any real finanacial award.
    Lau xxxx

10. As someone who's just finished a PGCE, I'd like to echo a couple of these comments... If you're doing it just for the funding, please don't. Across the whole of my course, the students who suffered from so-so/uninterested/non-existent mentoring were those in schools with teachers who openly admitted that the department had opted to take a student just for the boost to funds - it's definitely not the way to boost the budget!

11. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

If you're after cash, mark exams and moderate CA. This can be a real money spinner, especially in CA heavy subjects like DT and Art.
    Marking science exams is also a good one as it appears that the students never stop having exams in one or another branch of the subject, so it must be a year-round job.

12. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

or if you're after dep't money I'd echo the above... Its a hell of a lot of work for very little gain!

13. Income for a PGCE course is around 9K, for this the university does, say ~9 weeks of 'lessons'.
    Roughly the universities get 1K per trainee per week, minimum.
    That schools and associated mentors see very little of this is not the fault of the students.