1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Offering KS4- advice for dealing with school management

Discussion in 'Music' started by englishteach101, Nov 18, 2011.

1. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

I work at an Academy and have just been told that they won't allow me to offer music at KS4. I don't know what to do for the best for my department. I'm a newly-promoted teacher in charge of music and teach all the key stage 3 lessons (only taken over a couple of weeks ago since my colleague left) and I was hoping to offer KS4 music for the first time from next September.
    I've been told this morning that this is unlikely to happen next September now and this feels like a bit of a slap in the face for all I'm doing in the department, running extra-curricular, planning all the lessons and running concerts etc. so I don't really know how to deal with this as I've only just been promoted to being in charge.
    Any help or advice from more experienced leaders of departments would be appreciate on how to appeal this if it's already set in stone, or how to put an effective argument together to support running a GCSE group if this is not already a done deal.
    Thanks for your help
    S

2. This happened to a friend of mine two years ago and he's managed to win management over. He did GCSE music as a twilight course initially but his numbers have grown so spectacularly that it's now on the timetable proper.
    Is a twilight course viable for you?
    I also think that promoting Music as being one of the visible elements of the school, concerts etc, and its power to positively promote the school could be worth trying.

So, my advice (such as it is) is second-hand but I'm sure that there's somebody on here that will have some positive words of advice for you. Good luck and "boo!" to your management.

3. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

Thank you for your reply- I could certainly offer a twilight course and would definitely do this if it is a definite no. I'm doing all I can (being a one person department, I've not successfully managed the cloning process in order to be in 2 places at once!) to make the music department a thriving success at KS3, both with concerts, a large part in the school musical, student and staff choirs and a keyboard club so here's hoping that I can put a good case together and get it heard.
    Good to hear of others successes though so thanks for replying!
    S

4. Have you got pupils interested in doing GCSE music? If you have and a viable number, then you can put a strong case to SLT to at least include it in the options.If not the twlight route is a really good idea.
    Is your timetable full at the moment? If it is full of KS3, then I'm guessing the real reason behind them refusing it at KS4 is that they would have to employ another member of staff which they might not be keen to do. I wasn't allowed a double group a year ago in year 10 for that reason. I had to reduce numbers instead.I keepnagging our head though as the drama department and I would love to offer GCSE performing arts but the school won't timetable it as it would mean employing another drama/music teacher which they don't have the money for at the moment. However our head tells us to keep asking as one day she might be in a position to say yes.

5. dropje

dropje New commenter

Sounds to me it's not so much anti music but they don't want to recruit another teacher. Presumably they would have to do this since you are already teaching all of KS3. Parent power is the way, especially in an academy. By the way, what's your academy group? If you are a group of schools, what's happening in the other academies?