1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Offering free starter lessons....does anyone do this?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by langteacher, Aug 4, 2015.

1. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

No.

I find a tutor offering free lessons or discounts suggests that they lack confidence in the service they provide.

2. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

I think the main problem with Tutorhunt is the finders fee. Most parents believe that a percentage of this goes to the tutor, but it doesn't. I have had some good students via this website, but there are a lot of timewasters.
    One even left a review that I was too expensive after 2 lessons, presumeably because I don't offer free lessons!

3. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

I wish!

4. hoalarg

hoalarg New commenter

I agree. I've never offered a trial or free lessons.

5. RuthTom

RuthTom Occasional commenter

No. I never do this. But since I mainly advertise through tutorhunt I might start looking at other avenues again.

6. jean_daligault

jean_daligault New commenter

Does anybody use TutorHunt for online lessons?

They seem to charge the earnings from the first hour (ie tutee pays, but tutor is not paid) on online lessons.

Most of my contacts are for short-term tuition, so that seems like a terrible fit. Does TutorHunt have a bad reputation?

Thanks,
    Jean

7. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

They introduced the idea of the 'free lesson' a while ago. I for one, wouldn't dream of working for free, you can be sure TH will have had their bunce out of it. Have a look around to see what else is on offer and just keep them as a back up.

8. alsoamum

alsoamum New commenter

I never tutor for free. I do offer a 30 minute meeting/taster but only for people taking up a weekly regular spot or booking a long holiday course. I use this as a chance to get to know them a little before we sign contracts - I've refused tuition after a couple of these due to the child's/parents behaviour. All actual tuition is paid in advance.

9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I've used tutothunt many times. Its my go-to website if I want to learn something myself, or support either of my children with some aspect of school work. I don't think there hs ever been a single occasion through the years when I haven't had the first lesson for free, even once, a couple of weeks before GCSEs when I found a tutor to do an intensive course within bout 4 hour of being told my child was going to fill Spanish - I tried to insist on paying for the first lesson, but the tutor wouldn't accept. ( My child got a B in Spanish less than a month later)

I don't agree its the weaker of less confident tutors that offer the first lesson free. I've had some brilliant tutors do that, ( and very expensive ones!)

10. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

Well done for getting all of that for free. No wonder it's your 'go-to site'

11. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

No not a full lesson I usually charge £5 for a discussion around client need.