1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Offereing 2 out of 3 sciences

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Sara2, May 4, 2011.

1. The international school I work at follow the Edexcel IGCSE syllabus. Currently students can either take all three separate sciences or the double award course. The school management are keen to introduce the option of students selecting 2 out of 3 sciences instead of the double award course (or students can take all 3).
    Does anyone work at a school where they offer this option? What are the numbers per science subject like?
    Any information will be greatly appreciated!

2. The international school I work at follow the Edexcel IGCSE syllabus. Currently students can either take all three separate sciences or the double award course. The school management are keen to introduce the option of students selecting 2 out of 3 sciences instead of the double award course (or students can take all 3).
    Does anyone work at a school where they offer this option? What are the numbers per science subject like?
    Any information will be greatly appreciated!

3. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

We have your current arrangement, with 30-odd youngsters doing double award and 35 or so going for the triple crown.
    Last couple of years, it has gone very well.
    If you have time, I'd be interested to hear the reasoning behind the change proposed by your management. Sorry to be unhelpful.

4. Thanks for your reply. We actually have more students opting to do the triple award and alot less selecting the double award. This has in turn, affected other subjects in the school as their numbers are now low. The school want to offer a balanced curriculum, and at this stage are looking into the possibility of getting rid of the double award course and then students can select all three sciences or only 2.
    The Edexcel double award course has around 85% of the triple course content but recommend only 66% of the time of triple award. It is a struggle to cover all of the content in the allocated time. We have written to Edexcel about this issue but have not got very far.
    I have looked at a few HMC schools (in UK and international) and so far, I have not found one that offers the 2/3 selction. Am I right in thinking that all schools that follow the British National Curriculum must offer all three sciences?