1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Offered Temp job on Wednesday, invited to Perm interview on the Monday.... help!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by SummerHereKids, Jun 15, 2015.

  1. Thanks Cwadd,

    Not at all, Middlemarch. I think leaving a temporary job for a permanent one is entirely

    justified... but I haven't decided to do that.

    Dynamo67, not intending to play off anyone really... wanted to test the waters of Tess...

    Middlemarch, I don't think anyone is being bullied here, although the tone is that of authority - but not necessarily with regard to logic or fact.

    big love,

    :)
     
  2. CWadd

    CWadd Star commenter

    Your facetious response indicates you are not taking on board what is being written in response to you.

    "Wanted to test the waters of Tess..."

    Er, its TES. And if this is a wind up, congratulations, well played.

    But if it isn't:

    "The tone is that of authority - but not necessarily with regard to logic or fact."

    Fact - accept one job, you cannot go to the interview for another.

    Logic - you do this, you risk annoying two HTs, in the same authority, and ensuring your name will be mud.

    And you are correct, no one is being bullied.
     
  3. Thank you for the extended, courteous albeit maternal response, Theo.

    I hear the positions loud and clear, and thank you for your clarity.

    Rather I perceive it so because of the various assumptions regarding my experience and or 'course of action' - not to mention 'performance'! I won't be attending an interview under false pretences, as has been stated over several replies - in exasperation.

    I never said I would do that and I never would. I won't be deceiving anyone, and therefore can't be found out.

    If I decide to go for the position it will only be after I inform both parties... Or I will simply decline the interview and retract in the morning.

    As someone unfamiliar with contract law / Employment Law I felt I would ask on here... and canvassing for alternative opinions is a healthy and responsible thing to do when making big decisions!
     
  4. DYNAMO67

    DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

    You are not intending to, no. Reality is you won't get the job without school two doing the dirty on school one ( with you complicit obvs) and they ain't going to do it. Accept your lot, be a bit narked for a few days and think what if, and move on.

    Who knows, in twelve months time your school may have a permanent opening. Your dilemma is a non starter though, especially as they are in the same LA.
     
  5. Lara mfl 05

    Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

    Yes you have by virtue of having been offered and accepted a post.

    Problem is you wouldn't be leaving the temporary post, You would already have started it and the new post won't be available because they will have appointed.

    It is, but before you make your decision, not after the event.
     
  6. Thanks Dynamo, thats a fair assessment I think.

    I'd say 99% serious, Cwadd, though I would certainly not define mistyping TES as facetious! That was an error.

    Ok, thanks for the input lads and lasses.

    :)
     
  7. Lara you are assuming an awful lot, unless you have been reading my e-mails....

    " I haven't decided what i'll do...." refers to withdrawing or fessing up and interviewing.

    " Problem is you wouldn't be leaving the temporary post, You would already have started it "

    Simply not true, I already have a job and a contract which hasn't expired... I didn't tell you my start date.

    The last point again assumes the first two are logical. They're not, in this case.
     
  8. jammy06

    jammy06 New commenter

    Oh, I didn't want to comment until you started to have a go at Lara, who is the nicest person on this forum! (Apologies to the others :) )

    For what it's worth, one is a job, the other is an interview which you haven't even attended yet!
     
  9. Lara mfl 05

    Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

    But that's not an option as you have been informed. If you were to do that, as people have pointed out you're likely to lose both opportunities.

    Sorry, but if you are currently in the field of education and understand how the system works, why are you not aware of the protocol? I assumed, as I'm sure did others that you must be an NQT.

    Sorry if you feel we're having a go at you, we are all genuinely trying to prevent you 'putting your foot in it' and ruining your career.

    As I've suggested go the post to which you've been appointed and then move on from there.
     
  10. Sillow

    Sillow Lead commenter

    Legally, you have entered into a contract by verbally accepting the first job. That's the legal position. You could speak to the school if you wish to break the contract, they will either release you with no obligation or let you know that if you do go to the other interview they will be obliged to tell that school what you've done and you'll be left with no job.

    It seems obvious to me that it'd be better to go with what you've accepted; a year is a long time and there may be a permanent post in the future. It doesn't seem worth the hassle to me to go about trying to get out of a contract, for an interview elsewhere that you might not even get.
     
  11. Not having a go, stating my position in the interest of clarity. Nice of you to defend her honour tho. Very chivalrous.

    So let me get this straight: if i take a job. I can't ever leave it or my career wil be ruined. I'm glad I asked in here and thanks, genuinely, but I'm receiving wildly different advice in private from experienced DHT, HT AND PT's. But ok I accept what you are all saying and will do what I feel is best.

    Thanks.
     
  12. Yeah that's sensible. I know it's a risk. But I would inform all parties. Anyway thanks.
     
  13. DYNAMO67

    DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

    You can do whatever you want regarding leaving a job providing you work within the terms of a contract. You are now bound by it so will have to follow its notice period.

    I think your people could be telling you what you want to hear really. Like I said why would a headteacher risk alienating a neighbouring school? Local schools have to work collaboratively at times. It is not conducive to good relations.
     
  14. Lara mfl 05

    Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

    No, that is not what's being said. Of course if you follow protocol, give appropriate notice, inform Head of your intentions before applying for a job etc, of course there won't be a problem.

    It's this accepting a post and then (potentially) going back on your word which could be problematic to future jib opportunities.

    Your original post suggested that you'd accepted a post and were then considering refusing it to attend another interview, which is what you have been told is not just 'bad form' but illegal.

    Wouldn't be the case that this 'temporary post' is in your present School would it? In which case that might leave some room for negotiation, if you could argue your case to your Head that you need permanent work. Though they might then question why you accepted a post knowing it was temporary. I believe we are all assuming you applied to another School, were interviewed and offered a post and are now considering going to another interview, which you are just not free to do.
     
  15. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    Actually, she says in a motherly tone, you still haven't, my dear.

    You cannot just "inform" the school where you have entered into a contractual agreement. To do so would be breaking your contract, with all the consequences. The first of which would be that an annoyed School A will ring School B and no-one will touch you with a bargepole in that area ever again.

    Yes, I have been courteous. Unfortunately your replies are rather like those of a bolshy Year 8 pupil.

    But these have not been opinions that you have rejected, they have been fact.

    Best wishes

    ___________________________________________________

    Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.
     
  16. Deirds

    Deirds Senior commenter

    I've only known one person do this. They were relocating and invited for a middle/ higher management job. They accepted job offer and then was told it was for mainscale. Then offered another interview. Union was involved and negotiated a settlement which was that the person involved paid for post to be re-advertised. I think that was only possible because the school had arguably misled them. They did get another better job. Their colleagues at the school they were moving from could not believe anyone would do such a thing. (Not me, I hasten to add - Mainscale was the pinnacle of my career).

    From experience it is an astonishingly small world and it really isn't worth the risk.
     
  17. wanet

    wanet Star commenter

    I have started to suspect that this is really a windup.
     
  18. ValentinoRossi

    ValentinoRossi Star commenter

    Maybe it is. I do hope so; otherwise, I'm struggling to believe that anyone could be quite so thick.
     
  19. CWadd

    CWadd Star commenter

    The fact that the OP has changed/deleted their username speaks volumes.

    As does the fact they really didn't get my "facetious" smack down was due to the smileys and "big love" comments.

    If people want to post emoticons and show off their stupidity - go to Facebook.

    Stay there.
     
  20. John_in_Luton

    John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

    As MM has observed in the past, 'trip trap'...
     

Share This Page