1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Offered Temp job on Wednesday, invited to Perm interview on the Monday.... help!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by SummerHereKids, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Bit of a difficult position here:

Love the School and position I've been offered (and accepted verbally), only thing is, it's temporary for a year.

Received an email today offering me an interview in the same authority for a permanent post just down the road....

I really don't know what I can or should do....

Any thoughts before I put my size 9's in this and lose both?!

:)

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You've accepted a post. There's no issue.

3. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

[​IMG] Absolutely. There is no other moral or professional alternative.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Agree, you are simply not available to attend the other interview, as you have already accepted a post. (Remember in law a verbal agreement is still binding). Notify them of this as soon as possible so perhaps someone else on the short list can have a chance.

You'll learn a lot from any post and, believe me living close to school isn't always that good- does sometimes have downsides to it.

5. Thank you for the replies. I understand that it's not 'good' to accept and then to attend interviews.

The issue here is permanency. One is and one isn't. I'm not looking for an argument and I haven't made my mind up but the legal argument is mote; I haven't signed anything.

Both Schools are equally close to me and proximal to one another. If i can't pay my mortgage I'm out on my backside - that is the law that concerns me most!

The consensus here is I can't attend, any other views?

Thanks,

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

There aren't any other views! The consensus is, as usual, correct. You have accepted the post , it doesn't matter that it is only a verbal acceptance, signing a piece of paper makes no difference.

7. ValentinoRossi

You may well hold out for other "views" which fit better with the answer you are hoping for. But that will not make them correct, professional or lawful.

The fact that you haven't signed anything is neither here nor there. You have accepted verbally. That is binding in law.

Which bit of this do you not understand?

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

When are people going to be advised on 'legality' whilst training, so they realize the 'legal argument' is certainly not 'mote' but is legally binding, whether signed on paper or not. [​IMG]

9. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

No such thing as a permanent job. A permanent teaching contract only exists as long as you maintain and often exceed what is expected under the Teacher's Standards. As is much documented on these fora, many teachers who believed they had permanent contracts are now subject to capability processes which are likely to result in the termination of their contract of employment in quite a short time span.

On your final point, a legal contract existed from the moment to you verbally accepted the job. Many teachers start jobs without having received a written offer. Are you confusing an offer with a contract of employment?

10. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Snowy beat me.

The idea that a job is permanent is a misconception, whatever you are told you are on probation.

Why oh why do new teachers not get this spelt out to them. A VERBAL CONTACT IS BINDING.

Many issues keep cropping up which was once taught to trainee teachers, seems no more.

How would you now like to find out that both reject you because of this.

11. This is a troubling sentence:

"There aren't any other views! The consensus is, as usual, correct."

Putting sensibilities aside, thank you for your supportive non-judgmental contributions. I bid you adieu!

:)

12. Who said I am a new teacher?

Anyway, see this absolute gem:

"Why oh why do new teachers not get this spelt out to them. A VERBAL CONTACT IS BINDING."

Spelling it out without irony...

13. ValentinoRossi

Still not getting the answer you wanted?

As you say - goodnight.

14. As I said, not looking for an argument or even a particular answer. I haven't decided what i'll do....

Im happy with my appointment, but I have never been in this situation, and the choice of a years cover or a longer term position with a degree of financial security appeals to me. Im sure ones righteousness will feed the kids, pay the bills etc...

Really struggling to understand the hostility if I'm honest, but hey ho.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to welcome me to the Tess community.

15. NobodyKnowstheTrouble

NobodyKnowstheTrouble New commenter

Just curious - what if you are offered a job, you accept BUT you are awaiting a decision on salary? Yes, the advert says within say MPS and alluded to in the interview, but not specific?

Thanks!

16. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Whatever you choose, be prepared for the consequences if you do decide to reject the temp job for the perm job, before or after interview.

HTs do talk to each other.

Especially in the same authority.

And you yourself said you didn't want to put your foot in it and lose both jobs.

17. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

You are going to play off two local schools. The ht are not going to fall out over you. Too much at stake for them, they have to work in the same area. When school two find out they will retract an offer. I do understand your point about having a mortgage etc but there is NOTHING you can do. You will lose both jobs.

18. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

The difficulty we are struggling with is getting across to you that you don't have a choice between the two. You have accepted a job and are expected to take it.

Of course, you could pull out of the post you have accepted and have a go at the permanent post. Your reference will then say that you have reneged on your agreement to take up the post offered, the second school would then feel-quite rightly-that you do not keep your word and I certainly wouldn't recruit anyone who I couldn't trust. So there you are, without either post.

But obviously, you know best!

19. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I see we're got another member of the 'if you don't tell me what I want to hear, I'll accuse you of being hostile/unhelpful/unfriendly/bullies/etc' club.

20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am sorry that you are in such a difficult situation, I think that what you perceive as hostility is people repeating the same facts that you seemed at first unwilling to accept or even understand.

A bit like a mother saying I have already told you No three times! And shouting in exasperation.

[​IMG]

The situation is this:

1) You have entered into a legally binding contract by accepting the offer of School A. It is an oral contract.

2) You actually expected it to be binding when you entered into it - you don't envisage them turning round and saying Sorry - we interviewed someone else this morning and are now withdrawing our offer to you

3) If you go to another interview you are falsely presenting yourself as being free to enter into a contract with them, when in fact you are already contractually bound to someone else.

4) If the second school offered you a job and subsequently discovered that you had broken your contract with the first school (and Heads do talk about things . . .) School B would be justified in withdrawing their offer when they heard about it, as you fraudulently led them to believe that you were able to enter into a contract with them (i.e. accept their offer) when in fact you were contracted to School A. Or if you had already started work, dismiss you, for false pretences and dishonesty, being unable to trust you further.

5) And it has been known for a school to take legal action against someone breaking a contract . . .

So by repeating the same message which you didn't seem to be hearing, the other posters were actually trying to save you from yourself and an extremely unwise course of action.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.