1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Offered teaching job in cario

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Lisaloux, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Hi all, new to this but advice needed!! Been offered a job teaching in Egypt cairo but never even been! Any pro's or con's from others who are doing it or know someone who has please. Or questions I need to ask the person organising, thanks guys look forward to hearing all opinions!

2. Hi all, new to this but advice needed!! Been offered a job teaching in Egypt cairo but never even been! Any pro's or con's from others who are doing it or know someone who has please. Or questions I need to ask the person organising, thanks guys look forward to hearing all opinions!

3. You can pm me with the school that you have been offered a job at. Cairo is fantastic if you love it and the a4se end of the wrold if you don't.
    The school is VERY important.

4. Agree with the above! The school is very important as there are lots and lots of International schools and some are better than others etc etc. Message me for more details! I work in a British School over here in Cairo now. The country is a fun place to work and you do not really get any problems re the 'revolution'.

5. Hi! My husband and I are thinking of teaching in Egypt. I would like to know how it has been for you?

6. Brilliant - love it.

7. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

PM me too if you like with the school name. I'll give you my two cents. Foneypharaoh knows the score as good as or better than anyone though so my advice is PM him and trust his advice. Then make your own decision.

8. Hiya - i just realised you are in Cairo! Where are you working?

Ever coming back to the uk?

9. Are you talking to me?

10. had a friend interview there recently and wouldn't touch it with a bargepole- crime rate horrific, staff shot at and mugged. There is one school in particular which has a minus retention rate- i.e most staff don't make the end of the contract. Be careful and take advice.

11. IAMBOG

IAMBOG New commenter

Really? It certainly isn't perfect, but I don't think the crime rate is any worse than anywhere else. I am aware of some low level crime and women need to be careful when getting into taxis, but it no worse than the UK or Canada. I dare say it's considerably safer on Friday and Saturday nights.
    I may now destroy what I've just said, but in a bid to be open, I will tell you the truth. We did have a teacher shot and killed at our school a couple of years (RIP - JFP), but he was a very long way from Cairo in a tribal area and it was a freak incident in which he (or any other foreigner) was not the target. Devastating to the school nonetheless.
    Our school is a pretty decent place to work, however, we do have very high turnover. Most people come for experience and then leave. Many come for a year or two and then go back to whence they came. It's easy to think that all schools with high turnover are full of disgruntled staff, but that isn't always the case. There are factors affecting the length of stay of many teachers at our school, but the admin and owners do there best to alleviate these stresses as much as they can.
    For many teachers at my school this is the only way to climb up the ladder when they get back home, as it is almost impossible to get a full time job there without some experience. I will be going into my third year here in September. While I would like to move on, there are benefits to staying. We may stay a fourth year too and then we'll have everything we need to move on to something bigger and better.

12. rooster1

rooster1 New commenter

Well hearsay from someone who "knows someone who had an interview there" or the people who are actually there? Cairo is fine, the crime rate is not horrendous at all, yes some unfortunate things have happened almost as terrible as..ohh I don't know, any major european city and a lot better than most. Staff retention at one school in Cairo is apparently poor...I've heard that the retention rate in a school in Cairo is amazing but again that's just one school. This forum speaks volumes for Cairo, there are a lot of posters who have been there or are still there who rave about it.