1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Offered protected pay but at what rate should it be?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by killy99, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I was just wondering if my HT needs to protect my pay at the basic TLR rate I was on (until she demoted me) or at the new 'upper' level my post is being advertised as?
    Basically, my HT has been upfront with me and said 'let's face it, we both know you're not going to get the post back' so has offered to protect my pay ans 'save me the bother' of reapplying.
    I was surprised to see my successor being offered an 'upper' TLR and was just wondering what the consensus was on here?
    There's a long back story to this and I have made the decision not to fight fro my management role back for my own sanity.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Obviously not clear on the circumstances here - but as the role still exists technically you aren't entitled to any severance safeguarding of the TLR....

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

...but to address your question, I would say that if the role has been readvertised at a higher rated TLR then the head teacher will justify this by saying that the role has changed since you held it.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Usually pay protection is there to prevent your pay going down - so that you don't run into problems with mortgage payments and the like. And usually it is just a commitment to keep your salary at the current cash value, so if you go up a point on the MPS/UPS, you won't get any more money unless that takes your pay (without protection) above the salary you were getting before you lost the TLR.

5. Thanks for the replies, HT is getting around not returning me to my post by calling it a 'reshuffle' strangely no on else is affected (!) that's why I'm being offered the protected pay.
    There's no job description yet but the 'consultation period' of 1 week starts tomorrow so I'll hopefully see how it's been worded then.

6. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

OP, I think in your shoes I'd be speaking to my Union (& not the school rep, but at a higher level) - so if you haven't done so contact them ASAP...They will know how to get your rights sorted out.

and good luck with what must be a stressful situation.