1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Offered perm received temporary contract

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Idiomas11, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Idiomas11

Idiomas11 Occasional commenter

Hello

I was offered a perm at interview but just received a temporary contract. Two of us passed the interview, I was offered perm but the other the fixed so it could be a mix up but my name is printed on the front and I'm worried. Contacted the school but obviously noone there. I can't take any more one year contracts! Had enough! Was it something in my reference that makes them want to hedge their bets??!! So angry and confused. I am buying my own place to live there so I need some stability for God's sake and for the mortgage :/ has this happened to anyone

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Stay calm!

Let's go with cokupp until you get confirmation otherwise. You can do nothing until Monday. It's most likely a clerical error. Really.

So stay cool. You'll feel like a right mug if you lose sleep over it and there's actually nothing to worry about.

3. Idiomas11

I've checked the contract again and everything else is correct salary and everything. So not sure what's going on

pepper5 likes this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Take the above advice. Phone first thing Monday (speak to HT's PA first, I suggest, and ask them to check with the Ht).

5. Idiomas11

Thank you but am so angry if they decided to screw me over with a one year and not tell me beforehand or why, can they actually do that?? Shake hands on a perm in an interview then slip you a temp contract?? I am starting to think this is not a mistake as I said everything else is correct, it could be that they wrote in the salary and forgot to take the previous clause out of the other persons contract but still arrrgghhhh .

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

HTs down south have PAs? Wow!

DexterDexter and borges33 like this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Someone ducked up. Make that your mantra until Monday. Do not go looking for a catastrophe.

If an offer was made (rather than an assumption on your part) and you shook on it? That constitutes a contract.

I am looking forward eagerly to Monday evening when you can reassure us you're OK.

8. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Could be an honest mistake, but schools don’t often make those.

Could also be some confusion that they are offering you a temporary contract for one term as a probationary thing, then will reconfirm it as permanent in the second term onwards.

Did they recruit you directly, or through an agency? That can also cause confusion.

Big thing is - if they have verbally agreed a contract with you, then you have grounds to withdraw if they change the terms. It’s unlikely they will want to do that, especially at this stage of the year. So you can just back out.

Any terms given verbally in an interview should be upheld in writing, but there’s not a lot you can do if that doesn’t happen, except agree or withdraw.

Who was it said ‘a verbal contract isn’t worth the paper it’s written on?’

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  9. FrankWolley

If they offered you (& you accepted) a permanent contract, and they now have changed it to a temporary one, I would say (health warning: I'm not a lawyer) that you are not bound to go ahead with it...if you want to walk away, you can (but speak to your Union first, I would suggest).

Incidentally, if they say something like: 'Because of X, Y or Z we can't offer you a permanent contract now, but we will be able to offer a permanent one for next year, and we'd appoint you' or similar DON'T BELIEVE THEM... (I speak from experience...:mad:)

10. Applejacks9

Applejacks9 New commenter

To give yourself the best chance of getting the result you were promised at the interview and to reduce the chance of another miscommunication or error. When you speak to the Heads PA (or whoever the appropriate person is) I would be very clear and structured in what I said, (and wrote) such as the following.

At my recent interview the Head (or whoever the recruiting manager is who offered you the Job) offered me the post on the express understanding that it was permanent and I accepted it on that basis in good faith. The T&C’s set out in the contract which I have received, are correct in every respect, with the sole exception of the contract term, which incorrectly states temporary. I’m sure as all else are correct, this is a simple error. Please can you speak to the Head (or recruiting manager) to confirm this is the case and forward me an amended contract setting out the basis on which the offer was made and accepted at the interview, which is permanent.

Once I’d had the telephone conversation, I would immediately follow it up with an email to the person I’d spoken to. Stating ‘further to our recent conversation’ and setting out clearly what I’d said, and thanking them in advance their assistance in this matter.

Hopefully it is administrative error and not a change of mind/deal creeping (as it is known in negotiating).

I hope you get this satisfactorily sorted out.

PS. A verbal contract is as binding as a written one (just harder to prove!)

11. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

Pull out of the job. Get another one. No doubt they will let lie to you again and let you go after 6 mths. Really not worth it.

pepper5 likes this.
  12. Idiomas11

I have been employed directly.
    And Frank I have been in the same boat as you so am inclined to walk if it's not an honest mistake.

I wonder if someone has decided to return?

The contract says til August 2020

13. Idiomas11

I am just so upset as many people are the school are known to me through family/community, how could they do this??!

pepper5 likes this.
  14. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Someone also said schools don't duck up - they do!

Keep calm and wait until Monday - in the meantime do some strenuous work to take our your anger on!!!

Please do let us know what happens!

15. FrankWolley

I actually accepted a 12 month contract, & was all but promised it would be made permanent...I didn't believe them, but played along with it as I needed the money! :D

As I expected they appointed another teacher, but I had done well there(best GCSE results for a long time/ever in the dept, bigger take up for the following year at both GCSE/A level), so I made sure they gave me a stonking good reference...;)

16. FrankWolley

Wait until Monday...it may be incompetence, not malice...

17. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

Me too. But I wasn't lied to about a 'permanent' one changing into a 'temporary' one. Not good. I'd decline..

jlishman2158 and FrankWolley like this.
  18. FrankWolley

Yes, fair point.

I applied for a permanent post, was interviewed (along with others) for it..then offered a temporary post with "promises" which were all nonsense...

For the OP it might depend on how much they need this job...

19. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

I would say it is more likely an unintentional error on their part.

If the advert said there was a permanent post and you were also told that at interview, then you made an acceptance on that basis. If they then switched the terms on purpose, they'd be opening up the risk of being sued (if that turned out to be the case I would talk to your CAB/union/solicitor for advice).

I wouldn't let it bother your weekend. Just arrange to speak to the headteacher on Monday.

20. Idiomas11

Well I do need the job as I have bills to pay of course but of out principle I am tempted to walk, depending on the outcome of my next contact with them right now. From the contact I have today with them, I don't think this is a mistake at all. I am disgusted right now as I turned down two other promising interviews for this!!

I can find other work to keep me going I'm sure. Will keep you all posted. Thanks for your support.

jlishman2158 and pepper5 like this.