1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Offered job... what to do?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by jimmygrimble, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Hello all...

So since my last post I have been offered a maternity leave contract taking me through til the end of the school year. I am planning oon emigrating in September regardless.

For those who are unsure, I am an NQT and have been working on a daily supply basis practically every day since the first half term - all at the same school.

The job I have been offered cannot put me through induction and as such cannot allow me to have a 10% reduced NQT timetable. This concerns me given I will have little support compared to other NQT's and I am nervous with regards to the workload whilst I 'get to learn the ropes'.

My question is: Should I accept the job and get my head down, or will it be too much? Knowing I have a high amount of supply work, my issue isn't finances driven, but obviously I have a dilemma in that I would like my own professional development, but am I going to find myself overwhelmed?

I'm super grateful for any advice on offer.

Thanks!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Why not? If it is over a term, they could start induction with you, surely? Although I am no expert on induction rules . . . But here's a big long document that could tell you all:
    http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/s/statutory%20guidance%20on%20induction%20for%20newly%20qualified%20teachers%20in%20england.pdf
    I will add, however, that having done (and survived!) supoly work, you are not as inexperienced as you think, and teaching for another two terms, even without induction, will strengthen your skills.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars