1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

offered job on MP5 when I was on MP6 in 2009. Should I ask for MP6?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by richfruitcake, Jun 23, 2011.

1. richfruitcake

richfruitcake New commenter

I have been doing supply work since November 2009. Previously I worked for an LEA on MP6 until end of September 2009.
    I have just been offered a job with same LEA from Sept 2011 but only on MP5. Should I ask for MP6? I do want the job no matter what.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

If you should be on MPS6, they cannot only pay you MPS5, even if you were willing for them to do so.

3. becky70

becky70 New commenter

They've made an error - if you were on M6 before you have to start your new job on M6.

4. richfruitcake

Thank you for your replies. I spoke to County and they said it is up to the school what they offer me. I spoke to my union and they said I should be on the same spine point I left at and to contact the union rep of the school I will be working for. I have written a letter of acceptance and said I am entitled to MSP6, could they investigate but that I will accept the position regardless. I cannot aford to loose the job for the sake of a spine point.

5. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

county don't seem to know what they are talking about........if you left on M6, you re-join on M6

6. If you left your post on M6, you are entitled to M6 now. It is not up to the school as that would make a mockery of the whole pay scale. You could easily provide evidence of your last spine point and you should ask for a reason in writing why your new school is not willing to pay you on M6. This will make for interesting reading. Once you have their reply, you should send it to the council's personnel and payroll departments and to your union. If you are employed in a controlled school, then the council is the employer and they will be able to sort this out very easily. I know of a case where a new employee thought she was on M4 and when they sent the starter pack to personnel, personnel discovered she had previosuly been on M5 and contacted the school to correct it.
    Might cause a little unfeeling with your new school, but pay is pay and I would go over their heads on this one.

7. richfruitcake

Pay is pay, I agree but after 2 years of applying for positions, I am grateful to be offered a job at all. So a job is a job and it is a whole lot more money than I have been getting as a supply teacher. While I have stated in my acceptance letter that I believe I am entitled to M6 there is no way I can consider stirring up trouble if they stick to their guns and continue to only offer M5. The job is initially for 1 term only. I would love it to be extended so will not be rocking any boats. A sad state of current affairs with so many teachers looking for jobs.

8. coppull

coppull New commenter

Clearly you have been given excellent advice over this issue. You should be aware that schools do make mistakes over pay. If you do not want to rock the boat and receive your legal entitlements its no use coming on here just to complain.
    If you leave the school at the one term only or have a permanent job at the establishment,then you can put in your evidence without worrying about your job situastion and receive your back pay.[​IMG]
    Please come back to the Forum in the future,when you have carried this out and inform us of your success.

9. Middlemarch

So why bother starting this thread at all? Did you expect us to say 'It's OK, we've sorted it for you?'

10. richfruitcake

Middlemarch - I posted to find out if a school could offer less than the spine point I left at. I think your initial response was that they could not. However, County are telling me they can and the union are telling me that they should not and to contest it.
    If it was clear cut that I was entitled to it I would say that to the school but as it is so woolly I am beginning to think that I would be better off not stirring things up when the job is important to me.
    Of course I didn't think posters would say "It's OK, we've sorted it for you." I was just looking for some advice and I feel a little hurt by your response. Forgive me if I am wrong, but it appears to lack empathy with the difficult situation I am in. No-one wants to start a new job with bad feeling especially when it has taken so long to get a new job offer.
    Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well but my last post was trying to explain the position I find myself in. That is: I still think I am entitled to the extra spine point but if in fighting for it I alienate myself from the school before I start it is not worth fighting for.
    I thank everyone for trying to clarify the situation for me including you Middlemarch. Sorry if you felt I was wasting your time,

11. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I don't think it is at all woolly. As other posters have said, they are not allowed to pay you at a lower point on the scale.

12. richfruitcake

If that is the case then why have County said they can?

13. Middlemarch

You need to get your union on to it.
    It is absolutely, definitely the case that they cannot pay you less than your pay spine entitlement and the union are the people to fight this for you.

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, they can pay you less.
    If it's an independent school, a Free School or an Academy.
    Otherwise, they cannot.
    That is why so many teachers on M6 - or even UPS - are struggling to find a job. Schools are appointing people lower on the scale, even if they would prefer the UPS1 person, and even if the UPS1 person would happily accept MPS3 or 4 rather than relying on unreliable supply.
    But the school isn't allowed to pay them less.
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

15. richfruitcake

Thank you Middlemarch and TheGriff for clarification. It is not a free school, indepedent school or academy. I will get back to the school and if necessary speak to my union again.

16. richfruitcake

I had a letter from the school today confirming that I will get MP6 - so all sorted thank goodness. Thank you everyone for your posts.

17. coppull

coppull New commenter

Excellent news.
    Please remember people come on this part of forum to give you the correct legal advice and knowledge.[​IMG]