1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Offered job but did not receive contract yet

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by soppuvs, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Hi, I was offered TA job on 16th July in a sec school by Senco team , later by head teacher along with salary, timing, induction etc as oral. But due to pesonl mgr on holiday (her mom passed away) they asked me to wait for offer letter along with everything in writing . I am still waiting , personl mgr was supposed to be back to school by last week wednesday (thats what they told me). Am just concerned is it confirmed for me yet without having written contract . Now schools are closed so am just wondering will they email me the details or by post, is it normal to get contract late due to closure of school or will mgr's work during holidays too. Please advice . Thanks for your help!

2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Hi

Their oral offer and your acceptance form the binding contract. They have to give you the written terms and conditions of your contract within two months of the start date - so not actually until the end of October.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for getting that job!

You need not worry. Even a verbal offer can be contractually binding, although difficult to prove. But it seems that you have written proof.

The written terms and conditions - what we commonly call The contract - doesn't need to be with you until two months AFTER you start work.

[​IMG]

So that's October half term, basically.

I should just write and ask for them to confirm when and where you turn up and who to see when you arrive. And enjoy the month of August!

TIP FOR OTHER POSTERS: when you get a verbal offer, write and thank them for it, setting out the terms as agreed. This puts in writing what you thought was the offer. If you are wrong, they will come back sharpish and correct you No, I'm afraid that the starting salary of £10,000 per calendar month is incorrect.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.