1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Offered a PGCE interview which is this week but receive an email to say my application has been unsuccessful!!!

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by littlemissraw, Feb 28, 2011.

1. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Flexi courses start in Jan, there may be less competition for these? Not to be doom & gloom but no guarantee of a job at the end either. But you should always follow your dreams (for a while anyway). Good luck and I really hope everything works out for you. Its a great job if you can get into a (good) school xx

2. The jobs situation is awful at the moment...
    Seriously... if I were a prospective PGCE student I would not be doing DT. I would be doing Eng, Maths, Science, Hums or MFL as it seems that these are the only subjects guaranteed to be in existance 3 years from now.
    Everyone that has a DT job is clinging on to it as it looks like DT is being pushed aside in favour of Gove's 'academic subjects'. If DT is marginalised in the forthcoming curriculum review then expect there to be less teaching time for DT, less uptake by pupils at KS4, less teaching posts etc etc
    I wish I could be more positive but I have a feeling that 5 years from now DT in it's current form will be extinct.

3. Thanks for your response, forgive me if i come across a bit dim but what do you mean by flexi courses? are these part time PGCE, SCITTs, OU etc.
    I know there is no guarantee that i get a job at the end (or in any other sector at the moment) of it but I want to at least try, I have a strong background in food science and environmental health and really do not want my knowledge to go to waste and I do enjoy teaching others.

4. Thanks for your response. My background is mainly food science do you think that will be pushed aside aswell or is it just a few of the areas of DT?
    I suppose it was a bit naive of me thinking that because it was made compulsory from this year the subject would be 'safe'.
    If I had a straight science degree I would consider doing science but I have a food science degree and also one in environmental health so not one of the priority compulsory subjects. I am terrible at languages so that is out ;oD

5. How did you know ;oD
    I called the university first thing at 8.30. The adminstration officer said that I was her 7th call. She has no idea what is going on but they haven't rejected me and I must still attend my interview. She is trying to investigate what is going on as there is definitely a computer error.
    I am just glad I still have a chance, didn't sleep a wink last night though!!!

6. littlemissraw

Aww I'm so pleased! You don't need to know about flexi PGCEs now but yes they are 'part time' - so you can take larger gaps between placements (which a re still full time) alot of people with familys or jobs tend to take them.
    Let us know how you get on xx

7. Hi Littlemissraw

well I could kick myself for not reading about the bursaries before. I didn't realise that the bursaries were being cut for 2011/2012, i thought it was for 2012/2013. As a mature married mother to a 3 year old we were relying on the bursary to help with full time child care, without it we just will not cope. So I have had to pull out of my interview which was planned for tomorrow. I am so upset.
    I called up the OU straight away to try and get a place before september but they are completely full, I am so so mad with myself for not checking before and with the coalition for doing this now. I would understand if they had made the cuts for students that had not already applied but not for those already in the system. I really do not want to take a loan as I hate debt and with no security of a job after there is no way around it.
    I have read on other threads that on one course all the PGCE places have been taken but there is a fear that many will drop out because they can't afford it. This is a nightmare.
    I would look into the part time PGCE but then there is still the issue of managing financially ;o(

8. littlemissraw

It is hard, I don't have a secondary teaching post at the moment and financially things are dire so I've started my own business until I find a stable job (or it takes off). You could freelance on Office Calvary or People Per Hour etc? Although the PGCE is incredibly demanding. No chance of GTP? (thats paid) (Although it may be next year now and they usually want experience in schools) What do you do at the moment? xx

9. There are loans we could take out but we really do not want any debts especially since my husbands job is not secure.
    I have tried PPH but competition on there is so fierce so no luck there. I have never heard of Office Calvary i'll have a look thanks. Are you not able to do supply work or is there a lack of those positions too?
    I have applied for a GTP position but have yet to hear anything but I will continue to explore this route now. The one I applied for said I could do my 2 weeks work experience with them. There were a few other GTP positions I can go for but I have to find my own schools.
    At the moment I am a stay at home mum to my little one but a former food scientist and environmental health technician.

10. littlemissraw

I have a term of my NQT to finish and with the 16 month supply limit (amongst other things) I've avoided supply. There also doesn't seem to be much supply work going so I didn't want to start the clock ticking for limited amounts of work.
    Fingers crossed for GTP. Are there no colleges/Unis that offer free childcare? Have you considered a Flexi course for Further Education - Catering etc? I hope something works out for you, life seems to be so hard at the moment! lol. Let us know how you get on xx

11. I only found out recently that there was a supply time limit.
    I haven't explored other avenues apart from GTP and OU what are the flexi courses for further education do they lead to QTS also or are they CPD?

12. littlemissraw

They lead to QTS, its a while since I looked at them (3 years) so not sure where they run but its to teach in colleges x