1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Offered a permanent position after accepting temporary.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by georgisarahs, Jun 1, 2020.

1. georgisarahs

georgisarahs New commenter

Applying for jobs during coronavirus has been very difficult, I've struggled to get interviews and have been incredibly stressed. Hardly any jobs have been coming up.

I was rejected as second place by my dream school after a visit followed by a zoom interview, as they said the other candidate just had more experience ans they hadn't seen me teach.

A week later i interviewed at another school via zoom which is part of an academy and a 40 minute drive away. I interviewed for a permanent position. The headteacher rang me and offered me a position at a sister school in the academy for a 1 year cover contract. I accepted as I had found it so difficult to find a job and this was the last one my application hadn't been rejected for.

I was quite happy with this but dreading applying for jobs again next year. I did not keep looking and accepted that this was it.

Now one week later the dream job has called me back and offered me the position, a permanent job. I told the head I had accepted another job and she said 'I wouldnt usually advise changing you mind but these are exceptional circumstances'

They are offering me a permanent contract, I am in the process of applying for a mortgage and this would give me job security. The school I accepted for I havent even visited for obvious reasons and isnt even the school I applied for.

Would it be wrong to call the head of the school I accepted and explain the situation?

moose2 likes this.
  2. Anon927482

Anon927482 New commenter

I would be inclined to go for the permanent post, especially given the current situation. It’s not ideal but you need to do what’s best for you

moose2, Pomza, FollyFairy and 4 others like this.
  3. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Erm.........

Hard one.

You shouldn’t go back on your word. That’s the rule.

But from your post you’re clearly looking for validation for doing it arent you? Not really asking advice.

I don’t think there are exceptional circumstances really. The head is desperate...

I get though why you’d do it. You can maybe kiss goodbye the chance of working for the head of the school you’d turn down.... and you better hope your paths don’t cross in the future..

But on balance, I probably would take the perm job.

moose2, Laphroig, Pomza and 1 other person like this.
  4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Had the accepted job been a perm job not fixed term, and dream school got in touch offering a perm job, my advice would have been different....

moose2, jlishman2158 and agathamorse like this.
  5. Foux da fa fa

Foux da fa fa New commenter

Take the permanent job! It’s just a job. If there is one thing I’ve learnt, it’s look after yourself first. We were told there was a blacklist for teachers who did this. There isn’t!

moose2, Pomza and jlishman2158 like this.
  6. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

If it's a permanent position vs supply and the permanent school is OK with you doing this, what do you have to lose?

moose2 and jlishman2158 like this.
  7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Just be aware that by accepting the first job you have formed a contract with them. You are bound by the conditions of that contract then (which is likely to mean your notice period for September starts has passed). If you are set on this other school then yes phone the first school up and explain the situation (today) and they may release you from your contract but they may not. Think of it from the other side, how would you feel if you were offered a job and then a week later they said actually we have found someone better so we don't need you now.

strawbs likes this.
  8. Cantwaittogo

Cantwaittogo New commenter

Of course you should take the perm job. Do you think the other school will think about you when your contract ends? You should always put yourself above anything else in this industry.

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

This would have been what would have suggested.

You are under contract and it could be, that when you explain that a school where you'd previously interviewed (stress that this is not a position you went for afterwards) and not offered the post has now contacted you with the possibility of a permanent post. In the light of these new possibilities and the fact that your contract is a temporary one, would they consider releasing you? Everything above board and honest with nothing to come back on you.
    But yes you may have to face the fact they could say no.

10. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

It is giving backword, there is no doubt about it. However it is such a better deal that I think you should go for it. Especially as you have been upfront with the other head. So even if upset head rings new head (unlikely, but...) new head has basically said go for it.

moose2, agathamorse and jlishman2158 like this.
  11. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

From your perspective, you’re doing what is right for you- From the school’s perspective, you’ve accepted their offer of a temporary contract, and now a permanent role has come along, you want to rescind your acceptance.
    Mortgage lenders will most likely not lend to someone who is on a temporary contract- how can they be ascertain that you will have an income at the end of the contract- they can’t!
    Although I am a HT, but if it was me, I would be more inclined to take the permanent position but phone the HT and ask to speak to them directly. If they’re not available, then send an e-mail then. It’s courtesy.

12. BetterNow

BetterNow Occasional commenter

Permanent job. Especially in the current climate. I would have a word with them and don’t mention the dream job, and get your post deleted here? Just explain that job security is important to you. Talk to them and be polite.

Then decide what to do if non permanent job offers you a permanent one.

And remember that the teaching work is relatively small and heads talk.

Laphroig, agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

But new head of permanent job has basically said ‘do it’.
    I’m normally very much a stickler for a verbal contract but I feel that OP has behaved honourably here and should take the permanent job, giving as much notice as possible (like - now) to temporary contract school.

14. teacher_new81

teacher_new81 New commenter

Normally I wouldn't advise anyone to go back on their word of oral contract, though I don't think the % of schools who actually sue for this type of breach are high, actuality it's small.

Given the mortgage situation, I would delete your post on here, tell the cover contract head that you've looked into mortgages now and they are declining you based upon projected temporary contract and whether there's anything they can do (hope they say no sorry it's cover). Then say well I don't think I can actually go through with this as I didn't realise the mortgage company would not accept me. From that (after a while if they come back) I'd also say I've been offered a permanent contract at another school now and it's best for me to go for something permanent as I need a mortgage and so no I am not happy to work at a sister school temporarily.

Apologies.

moose2 likes this.
  15. Tinkerbell999

Tinkerbell999 New commenter

I’m in the same boat. I have accepted a job but they are messing me around. Basically not offering me a start date and a contract and this has been ongoing now for months.
    I’ve had enough and want to recind the offer but been reading on here that you can’t and it’s not allowed.

Friends and partner seems to think that because I haven’t signed anything then nothing can be done! I’ll be calling Acas in the morning.

do post back to let me know how you got on!

16. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

What is the context here?

You wont get a contract for a while. Your word is considered official acceptance regardless

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. Tinkerbell999

I haven’t been offered a start date or a conditional offer of employment. I have only been offered a provision offer based on clearances and checks.
    They have been really poor with communication and expect me to wait until September or longer to potentially start with despite waiting since the start of the year! No thanks! They have been pushing it and pushing it off and it’s causing issues in my current job also.

18. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

@Tinkerbell, do bear in mind schools have not been out of action, during this pandemic.

They may not even know themselves whether a Sept. start will happen and for now will have a lot on their plates trying to read the HUGE number of documents generated by the government about how to adapt teaching /classrooms.

Not really surprising they haven't been in touch really is it?

19. Tinkerbell999

No I totally agree. They have had a horrible time dealing with all of this. I do totally sympathise with them.

But, a lot of companies and my current role it is still business as usual for them. They are still recruiting and want to recruit my post and I’m stuck in the middle with pressure from one side to hand my notice in so they can fill my post.

Im unable to sit and wait for a post knowing it could be a potential September start or later as it’s impacting on both personal and professional life.

Everyone has to protect and look out for themselves, especially during these times with so much uncertainty

moose2 likes this.
  20. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If it's a teaching post, I think if they're not guaranteeing that you will start your employment in September, then that's sufficient grounds to say "sorry, I've found another job", or "I'm afraid that if you can't commit to employing me from 1st September, I will be looking for other posts".

meggyd, VeronicAmb, Piranha and 2 others like this.