1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Offered a permanent contract

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by thekillers1, Mar 30, 2017.

1. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Hello. Yes, after 18 or so months, I have now been offered a permanent contract. Two things that I'm a bit worried about:

1. I had to declare about my anxiety/stress issue from the horrible workplace two years ago.

2. One reference has returned well. Waiting for the other with hope that all is potentially well.

Please avoid negative comments as this has been a financial and emotional burden on my partner and I. Just hoping to hear stories about people who came through, a little bit like me and over came significant difficulties. I'm not looking to returning to supply work for an indefinite period!

puppyofdoom likes this.
  2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Stop worrying right now! I'm sure you checked with the other reference-people that they'd be willing to do it and they agreed. They're not going to give you a bad reference! They're not.

Congratulations. Very well done.

sabrinakat and thekillers like this.
  3. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

If they have offered you a permanent contract after you have worked there for 18 months they clearly value you. I wouldn't worry about it.

ilovesooty and FrankWolley like this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Yeayyyy Well done you!

There are surely no negative comments possible? Anyone who has read your posts over the last 18 months can't fail to be absolutely thrilled for you.

You can now join the 'successfully moved on' brigade!
    Brilliant news.

schoolsout4summer and thekillers like this.
  5. thekillers1

I've only worked there for a short period, due to the long term supply positions.

6. thekillers1

Thankyou xx

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Congratulations!
    If you've had a job offer there's not a lot to find out from a reference. The function at this stage is just for your referee to say "bla bla was employed here from blam to blim. They are not an axe murderer as far as I know". They just want another person to confirm that you are who you say you are and that they do not know of any safeguarding issues. That is all that is required once you are offered a job "subject to references"
    This means that even this (sort of thing) would not compel them to retract the offer-
    "bla bla was effin awful, we hated working with them, they were always late and had a million days off. However there were no safeguarding issues"
    Whereas this (sort of thing) would compel them to change their mind
    "bla bla was sweet as pie, always on time, dilligent, helpful, a great contributor. They did punch a couple of kids on the nose, but I would not hesitate to recommend them for employment"

They are not making a decision, they are doing one final check, and that's a difference that ought to help you sleep well.

thekillers and grumpydogwoman like this.