1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

offered a July start but now told not possible?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by l03whiteheadl, Jun 27, 2011.

1. I recently accepted a post as an NQT and as part of the verbal offer was told that I would be able to start in July.

Having now completed my PGCE I contacted the school to find out when they would like me to start, as I had not hear anything at all since the acceptance of the offer. When I spoke to HR they informed me that I wasn't starting in July and that they would never have offered me a July start because everyone starts in September. Is there anything I can do about this?

The original offer was given by the HoD, but I do not have any contact details to be able to question her about this, and I'm also slightly worried about causing a fuss before I start my first job.

Any advice much appreciated!

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I'd just call the school to clarify. You don't need to make a fuss, just ask if the HoD can give you a bell and say how you thought she wanted you to start in July. If she says no then just leave it and be glad of a chance to get an early hol whilst they're still cheap.x

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

HR at the LA will know about your September start as a qualified teacher. Any July start will be as an unqualified teacher as you won't officially gain QTS until August. Your training provider confers the PGCE, not QTS; they simply recommend you for QTS and the GTC confers if over the summer break, ready for your qualified start in the profession.
    Any July start will not be on Induction as that can only happen when you are qualified. You will therefore not get a 10% timetable reduction in July.
    It's the school you need to contact about the (presumably) cover teaching you'll be undertaking in July. Ask if they will be paying you supply daily rate (unqualified) for each day worked or whether they will be employing you until 31st August on an unqualified teacher contract. Either way, you won't see any money until the end of August but it will come in handy when you start the job proper as your first qualified pay will be at the end of September.