1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Offered a job in Australia but have concerns

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by whatsabunny, Jan 30, 2020.

1. whatsabunny

whatsabunny New commenter

The job itself I spotted on Facebook. Someone was asking if someone is looking for a job abroad and that they knew of one going in Australia. I private messaged him my details and he sent them to the head of this school for more information. The head got through, my CV was sent and he expressed his interest so we arranged an interview. The interview happened, three questions were asked about me and my teaching and a verbal job offer given. Unfortunately due to time constraints I had to leave the Skype call and couldn't ask my questions I had; when are school meetings, what will my wage be and other questions. I immediately sent these questions via email following the interview. This was 17 days ago and since then I've emailed my questions through again, with additional questions, and had no response. I then sent another chaser for these questions to be answered and got an apology and his PA would reply soon.

I've been told he's met with the Australian local MP and has agreed to support my visa. I feel very uneasy that my basic questions have not been answered and having sent a 4th email today asking for my responses (third chaser email for answers) I did use the word "very concerned" that they haven't been responded to yet.

I feel like at the moment there is very little security, I could arrive and they say "you can teach 35 different subjects in 35 different rooms and your pay is ****". I need in writing what the job entails and what I'm expected to do, as well as the answers to my others such as will I have my own classroom and what is the homework policy. All my questions were perfectly reasonable but I'm really worried that they're so desperate to get someone out there they've put in no effort to actually get to know me as a teacher at all. I could be world's worst teacher, they would have no idea from just my CV and 3 interview questions!

It makes me concerned why they're struggling to hire so badly and what's going on. Has anyone ever emigrated and have advice?
    I've been told not to take the job by some people but me and my husband have been looking to emigrate for 5 years (applying to various countries with no luck) and this is the closest we've ever come so I want to at least try and get the information I'm after before I give up entirely, but I want to tread lightly (maybe go by myself for a month or two, then come back if it's awful and we'll still have the house we rent and won't have to put the pets up for adoption)

I'm really so confused and worried about the lack of organisation of the school and their complete disregard for my basic and reasonable questions I've asked. They seem to think I'm so desperate to emigrate I'll take anything but I'm quite happy to breach contract and come back if it's awful, or if they come back to me without reasonable answers I won't go! I haven't even formally or verbally accepted the job, they've just assumed... It's all very odd.

I'd love some advice please

2. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

This doesn’t sound kosher to me-
    Trigger points
    1) only 3 questions asked at interview- not enough in my opinion to determine whether you are a suitable candidate, not only that- you will be re-locating to the other side of world. It’s a big change.
    2) They’re not responding to your questions- this should be ringing alarm bells. Any new employee who emails me, I will respond promptly, not leaving it over 2 weeks (and more) to respond.
    3) Advertised on Facebook- Who advertises a teaching role on a social media site?!

Personally, I would drop them an email and say, thank you for the opportunity but you don’t think that it’s right for you and look elsewhere, if you’re looking of course.

3. BTBAM85

BTBAM85 New commenter

It's a scam.

Soon they will ask for a deposit or security.

If it's not a scam it's a joke school. Don't go.

Piranha and agathamorse like this.
  4. whatsabunny

I'm confident it's not a scam as I've researched the school and seen photos of the staff, who were the staff that Skype interviewed me! They've come across desperate, unprofessional and uncaring. I pretty much told them that in my last email to them so I very much doubt they'll want me anymore anyway and if they do I'll be worried!!

5. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Sorry, I think you've been had. It may be a scam, but they sound desperate.

Walk away.

If you still want to emigrate, look at the international section here. Anyone who is resorting to Facebook/word of mouth to advertise has clearly tried through normal channels and failed.

whatsabunny likes this.
  6. whatsabunny

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I am pretty confident there is no scam due to having Skype and emails from the actual emails, and having checked these on the school website and seeing photos ect. I do think they are incredibly desperate for teachers and have tried and failed elsewhere, so would rather ship over a **** teacher than go without. I decided to raise a concern with them over email, about lack of communication and how they weren't answering my questions. I also mentioned I felt uncomfortable sending over a copy of my passport until all my questions were answered (as they requested without even confirming my wage!!) and so I refused to do so until I'd had a response to some questions I'd sent. I also asked for some advice about health insurance and an exact start date due to needing to save up a lot of money in a short time. At this point I actually got a reply pretty quickly essentially saying it's clear to them I have a lot to sort out in order to emigrate and due to a lack of responses from my referees and the time frame to hand in my notice they wanted to thank me for my time and wish me luck for the future. I took it as I'm too much work and ask too many questions! I think they thought they had found an easy win, someone so willing to emigrate I'd take anything and once they realised that wasn't the case they couldn't be bothered with me anymore. I feel like I dodged a bullet there!

7. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

"It's clear I have a lot to sort out in order to emigrate"

Yep. It took friends of mine 3 years to sort out emigrating from here to New Zealand. Doing it in a few months? Unlikely.