1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Offered a job, emailed with no reply and interview lined up next week

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by zovenden, Feb 16, 2018.

  1. zovenden

    zovenden New commenter

    I had my first ever teaching interview last week and was called later that day with a job offer. I was told that I would receive paperwork on Monday, but nothing ever came through. I also emailed asking for confirmation that I would have the chance to teach a-level and how excited I as to start in September.

    27 minutes after accepting the job I had an email saying I had been shortlisted to interview at another school. I later emailed the school with the job offer and waited 3 days and heard nothing back, so accepted the interview. I do not want to be unprofessional but am unsure what to do. I don't want to miss out on a job and I really wanted previously to interview at this other school. I do not want to be wasting anyone's time, but want to keep my options open in case they'e changed their mind. I'm also now worried, what if the school I've accepted the offer at get back to me the day before the interview. Is it bad form to pull out of an interview the day before? I do not want to be 'blacklisted' and night one day want to interview at this other school as it was my dream job. The school I have accepted the job at is a very good school and as an NQT to be, I accepted the job not knowing this other school would shortlist me and hoping I'd have paperwork through!

    Any advice would be appreciated
     
  2. Lara mfl 05

    Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

    I think the lack of confirmation about the job offer may be down to half-term. When they said blithely you'd receive confirmation on Monday hey may have forgotten there would be no clerical staff to deal with it. The 'final paperwork' may well not come through till after you've started the job and this would be quite usual possibly over a month later .

    I can see how you would accept the second offer of interview in all the confusion and it's perfectly alright to now pull out of that offer, without 'blotting your copybook'. Even as late as on the day of interview you could say that you have to pull out due to the offer of another post. Though if you want to he helpful to the School, the earlier they know the easier it is to invite another candidate to attend to keep their field as open as possible.

    Hopefully the School will email a confirmation next Monday.
     
    agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. Skeoch

    Skeoch Lead commenter

    Phone not email. Phone gets to speak to someone right away. Email can linger in the inbox (or even get spam filtered away)
     
  4. zovenden

    zovenden New commenter

    Thank you! I know they emailed and spoke to another candidate this half term saying no to her. (We are on the same course.) That's why I was so worried as nothing had been said! I wasn't sure if the school could change their mind about me.
     
  5. Lara mfl 05

    Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

    The verbal contract offering you the post and your verbal acceptance is in law legally binding. Though it's still a good idea to put your acceptance in writing as a written record. Date it and say you accept the post and any conditions such as pay which you discussed.
     
  6. CWadd

    CWadd Lead commenter

    Dicey. The school can change their mind if you've accepted another interview, and they find out. As @Lara mfl 05 comments, you've accepted a job, and it is legally binding.

    You could ring School A tomorrow, speak to someone and confirm that you have the job offer, paperwork please. Then you can contact School B and say "terribly sorry, can't attend tomorrow because..."

    Its easy, in the stress of interviewing, to get anxious about paperwork - but schools will let you know pretty quickly if they're withdrawing the offer.
     
    agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. zovenden

    zovenden New commenter

    Thank you. Will call the school tomorrow and confirm they'e still offering me the job and that what was said in interview is true about what and who I'll be teaching. What would be a polite way of pulling out of an interview the day before? I might one day want to apply there and don't want to dash my chances in the future if they see my c.v. And go... oh she pulled out of an interview. Being a trainee teacher, I obviously don' know which direction I want to go in types of schools, but would like to keep my options open. I never wanted to muck anyone around. I just panicked and didn't really know what to do! They need to discuss things like this on the university course!
     
  8. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    Schools are notoriously poor at paperwork. If there is a HR person at the school you need to speak with them and explain you need a formal offer letter. Just contact the school B and explain you have accepted a job in school A so will not be attending interview.
    Suggest you reflect your thoughts about needing this information on any university evaluations you will be asked for.
    Congratulations.
     
    Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. Jolly_Roger1

    Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

    Technically true but only if you can prove it. If the others in the room have selective amnesia, this might be difficult.
     
  10. zovenden

    zovenden New commenter

    I called both schools. Paperwork is being drawn up at one, and the other I have pulled out of the interview to not waste time. Hopefully if I want to reapply there one day well in the future it wouldn' be held against me!
     
  11. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    I'm sure it won't schools are used to it.If they do then that tells you a lot about the culture of that school.
     
    agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

    ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

    Although its worth noting that even if you call them and ask them to confirm what and who you will be teaching, they are under no obligation to really stick to this. The timetable will get done in a month or two, classes change, numbers change, staffing changes. And you might get taken off of A-level classes and put with KS3. You might get asked to teach a second or even a third subject. And you would have no real right to complain because schools can basically do what they want in terms of the timetable.
     
    Lara mfl 05, agathamorse and wanet like this.

Share This Page