1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Offered a job but applied for another - now I'm worried!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by maggieDD, Jul 6, 2011.

1. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

I recently was offered a job as a teaching assistant in a school that I
    wasn't 100% happy with, but I accepted it as I desperately need a job.

Since then I applied for another position which I had an interview
    today, unfortunately I was pipped at the post. The head teacher told me
    she knew a head at another school who was looking for ta's and when I
    asked which school it turned out to be the one I'd been offered a post
    at [​IMG] I had to come clean, and now I'm worried that the head from today's interview will tell the school that's employed me...
    Should she treat this in confidence?

2. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

If you have accepted a job, that is a verbal contract and you should not have attended another interview. This is unfair on other candidates who are still looking for employment, not only the other candidates today, but the candidates who attended the interview in which you were successful, and were rejected in favour of you. This is totally unfair on the school who think you are their new employee and have stopped looking for candidates. I don't understand why you would apply for another job if you already have one? If you are desperate for a job, you have one, you have what you need. If you were not so desperate you wanted to keep looking, you should not have accepted the job from the previous interview.
    What was your plan going to be if you had been successful today? Heads talk! As you now know, the other head and today's head are in communication, so if you had got today's job, the other head would have found out!
    If I were the head today, I would feel obliged to inform the other head of that her new employee was still attending interviews, though I obviously don't know if this will be the case as I am not a headteacher. But you definitely shouldn't be applying for other jobs if you have accepted a job with the head of the previous interview. It's just wrong. How would you feel, having been offered the job, if they rang you and said actually they'd found someone else? When you turn it round that way, surely you'll see that it's totally unacceptable.

3. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

I had applied for both positions at the same time, I didn't think I'd been short listed for the second and so I accepted the first, then I was contacted by the school which I preferred (more hours, closer to home) and I thought it was in my best interest to go for that one.
    I don't think it's too unreasonable of me, considering this is a big decision I'm making and it needs to be better for me in the long run.
    I feel you are being rather harsh with your comments.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, s/he is not being harsh.
    She is actually being legally correct.
    You have not acted either professionally or correctly.
    You accepted a job, you had entered into a contract with that school.
    You have deceived the second school by letting them think that you were free and able to enter into a contract with them, which you are not.
    How would you feel if the first school went on interviewing candidates after it offered you, and then rang you up to say "Sorry, we've seen someone we like better".
    The first school may wish to reconsider its offer to you now, as it is bound to hear of your unacceptable behaviour.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

5. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

So, am I to believe that if you had applied for two jobs at the same time, was offered one that you weren't entirely happy with and then afterwards was offered the opportunity for a considerably better placement, you wouldn't have gone for it?
    I have spoken to several others regarding this and the majority are in agreement with me, and they would have done the same.
    A large organisation that would easily be able to employ someone else (given that they had 55 applicants initally) versus one person's needs to be taken into consideration.

6. lighthouse_keeper

I have been in this position. When I was offered the job, I took it and duly cancelled the interview the next day. I had already decided that if I wasn't sure about the first job, I would not take it if offered, and then I would attend the next day. As it happened, I liked it very much, and so I cancelled the other one.
    Are you speaking to people who work in schools? It does work differently in teaching, you just can't hedge your bets and hold out for a better job. You do get offered on the day and usually have to answer immediately (not in some cases e.g. private schools). If you aren't sure, you can ask for time, but they may not want to grant it.
    Again, this is probably true in the world outside teaching (of which I know nothing, I went straight into teaching), but it just isn't the case for schools. The rule is that you give your answer, and then you cannot go back on what you have said, as you can be "black-balled" from an LEA.
    The school is considering your needs, their needs, the needs of the other candidates. If they appoint you, reject other candidates, and then they all go on to get jobs the next day, the school has to start the recruitment process from scratch. If the first choice don't want the job, they will go to their second choice. If you take the position and then back out some time later, they are left with nothing, which is unfair. They would not offer you then job and then withdraw it, and so you cannot accept the job and then withdraw your acceptance, it's just not the way it works.
    I'm sorry if you feel I'm being harsh but you did ask the question...

7. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

Yes, I did, and thank you for your honest opinion.

However, does that mean, if I were already employed I would not be allowed to look for another position?

8. lighthouse_keeper

If you were already in this job, and wanted to apply for another, you would have to give the correct amount of notice. You would need to tell the head you were applying for other jobs, so that they could write you a reference, and then you would be able to go for interviews. But you would have to serve a period of notice before you could leave.
    If you find that this job is not the one for you, then of course you can look for another, but not before you have served a period of notice. This might look a bit odd to another school though, so I would consider it carefully before doing so.
    Hope that helps.

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Obviously if you were already working in a post you might be looking around for another post, but you haven't already started this post, the school is expecting you to start and is not going to take kindly to you letting them down at short notice.

10. The etiquette is different with schools. I've been in this position (or similar) twice. Firstly, I turned down one interview because I had another interview at a school I preferred but it was on a later date. I didn't get the job but that's life. Secondly, I accepted a job and was then shortlisted for two schools far nearer to my home. I contacted those schools, explained I had a job and wouldn't be attending interview and left it at that- I'm happy with the job offer I accepted and I realised that if my school had been as close as the other two, I would have chosen it without a thought as it's ideal for me, so I made the right decision.

11. Hi folks,
    I've just qualified as a teacher but haven't managed to secure a teaching post for september.
    I'm trying to decide what to do.
    I dont want to do supply.
    I have seen a support role that I like the look at in a school I think will be good. Its a temporary post. But it would mean I had a job sorted for September.
    A temporary teaching post has also been advertised at another school, which I would really love and will also be applying for.
    If I had a choice, I obviously would rather teach, do my NQT. However I don't have much of a choice at the minute and have more or less run out of time. The problem is that the interview for the teaching job is just after the interview for the support post. If I as offered the support job, would I then not be allowed to go for the teaching job?
    As the support post is temporary if I got it and started in September would it be ok to start applying for teaching jobs then?
    Please advise

12. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

How much different are the dates? The chances are you may know when attending the support interview if you have been shortlisted for the teaching post interview. Therefore I'd say on the day how much you love the school etc but you had a teaching interview later in the week and would they mind you taking a few days if they wanted you. I think most schools would understand this.
    However if you got an interview for support and accepted, then got an interview for the teaching post, it would be wrong to attend as you would have already agreed to the support position.
    You can apply for teaching jobs after starting the support role but will still have to give the proper notice. The job rush didn't happen in June so its looking unlikely they're be a rush for a Jan or Easter Start xx