1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

offered a different job to the one I applied for!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by minnieminx, May 27, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I wouldn't do PPA cover for all the tea in China, given a choice. If you feel confident that you will get something else when the glut of vacancies comes out in a week or two then turn it down.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Whilst not dis-agreeing with other posters about 'going with your gut', your comment about not being able to contribute to children's learning, or plan literacy or maths may not be true. I certainly did my own planning after a remit from the class teacher & you'll get to see how other people plan/manage their classes which will help develop your own teaching style. The biggest 'problem' is adapting to how others teach & maintaing discipline etc in the usual teacher's way which can make one feel slightly schizophrenic!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, let's start with the congratulations!
    Are you a student getting your first job? I've read your first post several times and can't make my mind up.
    If you are, then I am not sure if this is an inductible post - don't you have to be i/c of a class? Do check this out fast.
    There will be more jobs after half term, when the vacancies are advertised from the people who resigned on 31 May. But you must bear in mind that you are, apparently, looking for a job in a specific area, which limits your chances.
    Only you can decide whether you could live without the income from a job for a term, 2 terms or more. Trying to get another job when you are unemployed will probably be just as if not MORE difficult than from a PPA post. This post at least will give you good experience of a range of classes, show flexibility, team working etc.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

4. I've done PPA in a Primary for 2 years now, and can honestly say it's one of the best jobs I've done. You get to know most of the children in the school, and can do literacy and numeracy if that's what the class teacher wants you to teach. You will plan you own lessons/topics and will be able to teach in your own style, and you will have to assess and report on the subjects that you teach.
    Go for it, especially if you like the school. It will lead to other things because of the variety of subjects you do with the variety of age/year groups.

5. laconn

laconn New commenter

Thanks for all the replies. I have 3 years experience and was really hoping to get a permanent job this time around. Have done two years in year 3 and just covering a maternity post in year 4. I have decided not to take the job and whether this comes around to haunt me, I just don't know. I just remember feeling so happy getting my last job and really excited about starting and certainly did not get the same feeling this time. Apparently I was close to getting the class teacher position as there were a few going in the school. I phoned the head and was honest about the situation. She has said to phone back at the end of the term if I haven't found a class teacher role this one may still be available. So at least it is there as a backup plan.

I would much rather go all out on the next lot of applications and know I tried my best to get a job I was happy with. I have had a rough week. Offered 4 interviews but had to choose 2 to go to as they were at the same times. Hopefully the interviews will keep coming! and above all this was a positive interview experience. Thanks for your support guys.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hope it all turns out well for you.

[​IMG]

I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Ignore that daft bit in the middle of last post!

Hope it all turns out well for you.

[​IMG]

8. laconn

laconn New commenter

Thanks, already started searching for the next ones to apply to!